/President/

From:         Suresh V. Garimella, President
                    Patricia Prelock, Interim Provost and Senior Vice
President

To:             UVM Community

Date:         August 29, 2019

Re:            2019 UVM Campus Climate Survey

As we begin the new academic year, we are excited to announce highlights
of the 2019 UVM Campus Climate Survey. The survey is one of multiple
initiatives to accelerate our progress toward inclusive excellence. In
the Winter of 2019, a climate survey was sent to every member of our
campus community (students, faculty, and staff). Our goal from this
effort has been to use the data to inform a plan of action that ensures
an environment where individual differences are respected and valued by
all members of the campus community.

In total, we are happy to report that 3,663 students and 2,221 faculty
and staff members participated in the survey. Questions included in the
2019 survey were based, in large part, on the questions from the last
university-wide campus climate survey, which was completed in 2011. This
allowed us to compare the data across the two surveys. It is important
to note that while participants were encouraged to answer all parts of
the survey, all questions, including demographic ones, were optional.

We encourage everyone to read, think about, and discuss the survey
highlights listed below, prepared by the Office of Institutional
Research and Assessment. Over the course of the next several weeks, Vice
President for Human Resources, Diversity and Multicultural Affairs Wanda
Heading-Grant and her team will share summary data and discuss results
of the survey with the colleges and units. The goal of this work is to
ensure the development of specific action plans to further improve the
campus climate and to specifically address things we have learned from
this survey.

For further information about the administration of the 2019 UVM Campus
Climate Survey, please go to go.uvm.edu/climatesurvey.
<https://www.uvm.edu/hrdma/crs>
Thank you for your participation in this important work, and for your
help with the work we have ahead of us.

*2019 UVM CAMPUS CLIMATE SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS*

  * Overall satisfaction and a sense of inclusivity in 2019 has remained
    relatively unchanged from 2011 for both faculty/staff and students.
    80% or more of the participants are satisfied with UVM, and 75% or
    more reported experiencing a sense of inclusivity here.

  * Faculty/staff awareness of information regarding campus support
    services such as the protocol for reporting bias incidents and
    requesting information/accommodation regarding a disability
    significantly increased since 2011. Over 75% of the faculty/staff
    are aware of these resources. Over 69% of students are aware of
    information regarding campus support services and have confidence in
    requesting an accommodation regarding a disability. Only a third of
    students, however, are aware of the protocol for reporting a bias
    incident.

  * Since 2011, faculty/staff believe progress has been made toward
    equity on the basis of age, disability, gender identity and
    expression, religion, spirituality, or philosophy, sexual
    orientation, socioeconomic status, and veteran status. There is room
    for improvement, however, as the range of responses regarding
    progress was from 43% (age) to 63% (gender identity and expression).

  * With regards to discrimination and witnessing disparaging remarks,
    there has been mixed progress across identities. Students witnessed
    decreases in disparaging remarks with regards to age, disability,
    religion, spirituality, or philosophy, sexual orientation, and
    socioeconomic status. On the other hand, students, faculty, and
    staff witnessed increases in disparaging remarks and discrimination
    related to political affiliation.

  * Going forward, UVM’s goal should be to move beyond increasing
    awareness about the value of diversity and focus on facilitating
    interactions around issues of diversity important to the campus:

      * Faculty/staff (86%) and students (82%) want to learn about
        identity groups that are different from their own (a 6% and 4%
        increase, respectively, from 2011). However, a much smaller
        percentage of faculty/staff and students feel it is important to
        educate others about the identity groups to which they belong
        (faculty/staff = 30%; students = 42%).
      * Both faculty/staff (47%) and students (50%) agree that they try
        to avoid conflicts when discussing identity issues, even though
        the majority of them (62% for faculty/staff and 77% for
        students) agree that conflict enriches the learning process.

Read more messages to campus from President Garimella
<https://www.uvm.edu/president/presidents-messages>.