President

From:         Suresh V. Garimella, President
                   Patricia Prelock, Interim Provost and Senior Vice President

To:             UVM Community

Date:         August 29, 2019

Re:            2019 UVM Campus Climate Survey

As we begin the new academic year, we are excited to announce highlights of the 2019 UVM Campus Climate Survey. The survey is one of multiple initiatives to accelerate our progress toward inclusive excellence. In the Winter of 2019, a climate survey was sent to every member of our campus community (students, faculty, and staff). Our goal from this effort has been to use the data to inform a plan of action that ensures an environment where individual differences are respected and valued by all members of the campus community.

In total, we are happy to report that 3,663 students and 2,221 faculty and staff members participated in the survey. Questions included in the 2019 survey were based, in large part, on the questions from the last university-wide campus climate survey, which was completed in 2011. This allowed us to compare the data across the two surveys. It is important to note that while participants were encouraged to answer all parts of the survey, all questions, including demographic ones, were optional.

We encourage everyone to read, think about, and discuss the survey highlights listed below, prepared by the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment. Over the course of the next several weeks, Vice President for Human Resources, Diversity and Multicultural Affairs Wanda Heading-Grant and her team will share summary data and discuss results of the survey with the colleges and units. The goal of this work is to ensure the development of specific action plans to further improve the campus climate and to specifically address things we have learned from this survey.

For further information about the administration of the 2019 UVM Campus Climate Survey, please go to go.uvm.edu/climatesurvey.

Thank you for your participation in this important work, and for your help with the work we have ahead of us.

2019 UVM CAMPUS CLIMATE SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS

Read more messages to campus from President Garimella.