The B&W caterpillars (Lophpcampa caryae) are NOT poisonous. The have urticating hair-like setae which can be irritating to the skin (similar to stinging nettles if anyone has come across that). This is one of a number of native caterpillars with similar long setae which can irritate the skin but they should not be killed, just use caution and don't pick them up if you are concerned.

JoAnne Russo
Saxtons River, VT