Greetings, VTBIRDers,

Regarding caterpillars, it’s prime-time for some wonderful shock-and-awe out there now (generally more dramatic than fall warblers). As hawks and other birds move thousands of miles, I’ve been tracking the “migration” of a cryptic caterpillar moving  as little as a few feet in our forests each fall.

Here are two blog posts, the first of which celebrates the ornate and the prosaic among us. The second one goes into greater depth on those little bits of maple you might now be seeing moving about our forests like the bounty of leaf-cutter ants — yet ever so slowly. And these days, for many of us, slowing down is a very good thing.

https://bryanpfeiffer.com/2019/08/31/defiance-and-disguise/
https://bryanpfeiffer.com/2019/09/12/fall-migration-in-the-skies-and-at-your-feet/

Best,
— Bryan Pfeiffer