	*

	November 21, 2019

To:       UVM Community

From:  Annie Stevens, Vice Provost for Student Affairs

Re:      Nicolas “Cole” Kern (Class of 2022)

It is with great sadness that we inform the University community that
Nicolas “Cole” Kern, an undergraduate student from Brookline, MA
studying Business Administration within the Grossman School of Business
passed away on November 19, 2019. It is our understanding that Cole
succumbed to injuries he received during a tragic incident in his
hometown of Brookline. Though Cole was not enrolled in classes this
semester, his loss will undoubtedly be felt by those who knew him during
his first year of college.

We extend our deepest condolences to Cole’s family. Our sincere thoughts
of care and sympathy are also extended to the friends, classmates,
faculty, and staff who knew him.

As is the case when any member of our community passes away, we are
bound to feel a profound sense of loss, and reactions are felt in a
variety of ways. During this time, we highly encourage you to reach out
to your primary support system as a source of care and connection. If
you, or someone you know, are in need of professional counseling please
do not hesitate to contact UVM’s Counseling and Psychiatry Services at
(802) 656-3340 (for students) or Invest EAP at (802) 864-EAPŘ (3270) or
toll free at 1-866-660-9533 (for employee assistance).