"Isn't it awfully late for a Phoebe to be in Vermont? is the question
asked in the email copied below.  The answer is in the numbers.  Using
the eBird graph function, below [scroll down] I've made a table of all
Vermont numbers of checklists with an Eastern Phoebe by weeks,
highlighting the tail end of the season.  (In the table numbers in
parentheses from  October to the first week of January account for
shared checklists.)

Numbers of Phoebe begin, thus, their out-migration decline the first
week of October. Most birds are gone by the third week in October. There
remain just a very few, rare stragglers November through the first three
weeks of March.  The 4th week of March hosts a few early migrants.
After that they increase rapidly, with observations peaking the last
week of April.

Ian
=========================

On 11/19/2019 12:09 PM, kfinch wrote:
> I have an E. Phoebe hanging around my Chester pond.  Isn't it awfully late for a Phoebe to be in Vermont?
Plain numbers are checklist numbers with confirmed  Eastern Phoebes, not
accounting for shared checklists.
Numbers in parentheses are checklists with confirmed Eastern Phoebes,
accounting for shared checklist.

Spring highs:
Last week of April .... 4085
Last week of May .... 3726

Summer low:
Third week of July .... 960

Last week of September to first week of January
Sept 4 .... 1796
Oct 1 .... 1054
Oct 2 .... 706
Oct 3 .... 274
Oct 4 .... 64
Nov 1 .... 11 (5)
Nov 2 .... 7  (7)
Nov 3 .... 4 (4) The observation cited above is the fourth checklist in
Vermont with an Eastern Phoebe for all time during this week of the year.
Nov 4 .... 1 (1)
Dec 1 .... 5 (3)
Dec 2 .... 2 (2)
Dec 3 .... 6 (4)
Dec 4 ... 2 (2)
Jan 1 .... 4 (4)
And so on through the third week of March.