I had some issues with the New PubMed and a systematic review search that I
was doing. I also went through all earlier emails by various members on
this list. I note that some issues appear to have been solved (now there is
a csv file saving option and we can change the no of results in a page). I
also noted one new feature that I liked - we can choose to save all
results, or selections (both available earlier) and now - results on the
current page. That is nice!

About my systematic review search

I had gone through 60 steps of searching and search terms. My final step
was #58 AND #59 – so the result no was #60.
In the old PubMed, if I clicked “Create alert” to save the final strategy,
it used to save it with all the search terms with the appropriate Boolean
operators.

IN the New PubMed, it saved it as -  *#58 AND #59*!!! How did I figure that
out? When I clicked the name of the search to view results – it said –
“Query not found” and I had a blank result page. I went back to the My NCBI
page and took my cursor close to the saved search name, and I found that it
was saved as #58 AND #59 !! (Luckily I tested this soon after creating the
alert and noticed this problem!)

Next, I went to the Advanced Search page and in the history, for the last
step, I checked under “Details”. I found the entire strategy and pasted it
and saved it. BUT, when I re-ran it from My NCBI, I got only 885 results
instead of the 4000+ results that I originally had. With a message –
“Quoted phrase not found”

Now I had not used quotes for *any* search term. So I asked aloud “What
quoted phrase”? And then found that for my input – deprescr*[tiab], PubMed
had translated my query to "deprescr*"[Title/Abstract]). And so on for
every term

Next…. I removed all quotes (using MS Word’s Find and Replace feature) and
pasted the strategy again. This time I got the 4000 plus results, and saved
it!

Then, I discussed the strategy with the other authors and they suggested
two more terms to be added. I have redone the search

Now I have a new problem:

- Old PubMed gives 7064 with Most recent results and 7075 with Best Match
- New PubMed gives 7073 with either displays

My question – If I take the 7075 results and create an alert via the Old
PubMed, if it goes away in the next few days, will my New PubMed give me
all of them?

I think the BEST thing for me to do just now is to create a PMID list of
all 7075 as a back up

I am going to have more work to do. Which means the authors are going to
have to pay more (increasing number of hours) – thanks to these issues!

I will be writing to the NLM too. Will have to see what they say

Vasumathi Sriganesh
QMed Knowledge Foundation
A-3, Shubham Center, Cardinal Gracious Road
Chakala, Andheri East, Mumbai 400099, India
Tel: 91-22-40054474    Mob: +919867292230
Email: [log in to unmask]  Web:www.qmed.ngo