To me this tension between cognitive and emotional modes is a strong argument for social cognition. That is, our individual capacity for reason is both limited and unduly influenced by inner, unconscious processes. Unfortunately, the only place that basic cognition can occur is inside individual minds. But when we reason together, we may be able, by triangulation/whatnot, to reduce stray inputs and get closer to useful truths.

What is an example of successful social cognition? Science! with its communication techniques and mutual supportive skepticism.

Note: nothing I'm saying here should be considered anti-emotion; I'm a big believer in gestalt and integrative processing.

Jim