	*UVM Police
*

After a thorough and timely investigation, UVM Police has identified the
persons believed to be responsible for the door fires at Harris Hall
that occurred at 1:37 this morning. UVM was assisted in the
investigation by members of the UVM community. Five persons were
identified and have been cited into court for Second Degree Arson with a
court date of February 11, 2020.

This incident was serious and concerning due to the potential danger
that starting several fires on residence hall doors poses to the safety
and well-being of residents. We depend on our community to assist with
information when these situations impact us, and thank the individuals
who assisted with this case. We also want to thank our first responders
from the Burlington Fire Department and UVM Police. When officers
arrived, they found that paper decorations that adorned several doors on
the first and second floor had been lit on fire. The fire was out when
emergency responders arrived and property damage was minimal.

This incident remains under investigation. Anyone with additional
information is asked to contact UVM Police Services.

Always call 911 for any crime in progress. Report suspicious
behavior/activity to UVM Police by calling 802-656-3473, or information
ca*n be sent confidentially by visiting the UVM Police Services website*
at www.uvm.edu/police or*by **text **to**847411 (tip411) and include the
keyword UVM *in your message.

Bystander intervention is when an uninvolved person witnesses someone
else at risk of or experiencing harm and takes safe, positive steps to
prevent it. When members of a community know how to recognize potential
harm and intervene, bystander intervention can promote a safer and
healthier campus community. For more information and training about
bystander intervention contact Living Well at UVM
(https://www.uvm.edu/health/stepup).