[log in to unmask]" alt="" class="" width="289" height="76"> UVM Police

After a thorough and timely investigation, UVM Police has identified the persons believed to be responsible for the door fires at Harris Hall that occurred at 1:37 this morning. UVM was assisted in the investigation by members of the UVM community. Five persons were identified and have been cited into court for Second Degree Arson with a court date of February 11, 2020.

This incident was serious and concerning due to the potential danger that starting several fires on residence hall doors poses to the safety and well-being of residents. We depend on our community to assist with information when these situations impact us, and thank the individuals who assisted with this case. We also want to thank our first responders from the Burlington Fire Department and UVM Police. When officers arrived, they found that paper decorations that adorned several doors on the first and second floor had been lit on fire.  The fire was out when emergency responders arrived and property damage was minimal.

This incident remains under investigation. Anyone with additional information is asked to contact UVM Police Services.

Always call 911 for any crime in progress.  Report suspicious behavior/activity to UVM Police by calling 802-656-3473, or information can be sent confidentially by visiting the UVM Police Services website at www.uvm.edu/police or by text to 847411 (tip411) and include the keyword UVM in your message.

Bystander intervention is when an uninvolved person witnesses someone else at risk of or experiencing harm and takes safe, positive steps to prevent it. When members of a community know how to recognize potential harm and intervene, bystander intervention can promote a safer and healthier campus community. For more information and training about bystander intervention contact Living Well at UVM (https://www.uvm.edu/health/stepup).