	*Office of the
Vice President for Operations
and Public Safety
*

TO:           UVM Community

FROM:        Gary Derr, Vice President for Operations and Public Safety

DATE:         February 28, 2020

RE:              Coronavirus Update

As I am sure you are aware, the nation and the world are closely
monitoring the developing outbreak of a new coronavirus (COVID -19). To
date, there are 82,000 coronavirus cases confirmed in 45 countries,
including the United States. The world-wide death toll is just over
2,800. By comparison, and to provide a sense of scale of concern, the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported that in
the United States alone, the 2019-2020 flu season has hospitalized
280,000 people, and resulted in 16,000 deaths.

The UVM Emergency Operations Group has been meeting regularly to prepare
campus to handle any immediate or long-term issues related to the
coronavirus. We have also been working and will continue to work with
the Vermont Department of Health to coordinate planning and response
efforts.

_*UVM Travel Restrictions:*_
<https://www.uvm.edu/president/division-operations-and-public-safety>

Recently, the CDC recommended avoiding all nonessential travel (CDC
Warning Level 3) to South Korea.  As a result, UVM faculty, staff and
students should delay travel to South Korea until further notice for
research or other academic or business purposes, irrespective of the
source of financial support for the travel or for students, whether for
credit or not-for credit. The University will restrict future travel to
additional countries the CDC adds to the Warning Level 3 list.
Individuals with planned travel to countries currently on the CDC Alert
Level 2 list—Iran, Italy, and Japan—should make contingency plans in the
event the CDC raises their status to  Warning Level 3.
_*
*__*Study Abroad*_

We encourage students currently abroad to regularly check the CDC
website for latest information, consult with their host
institution/program providers, and think critically about their own
comfort level with the emerging situation given their individual medical
conditions and the possibility of movement/travel being restricted. The
Office of International Education i <https://www.uvm.edu/oie>s available
to talk with students about their individual circumstances. Students
involved in study abroad programs through other institutions need to be
aware that they may be impacted by the host institution’s decision to
suspend a program. This is a decision out of UVM’s control. We will work
with those students on a case by case basis regarding the impact this
may have on their coursework and academic progress. Spring break
travel-study courses currently are scheduled to continue as planned. If
threat levels change in a way that impacts any of these programs, we
will be in touch with the appropriate college or school.

_*Helpful Resources:*_

We have created a webpage
<https://www.uvm.edu/president/division-operations-and-public-safety>
that contains the current status of the virus with links to the CDC with
specific information about the virus. The site also contains additional
resources including links to the Vermont Department of Health and the
World Health Organization. If you are planning any travel, particularly
international travel, we encourage you to review the CDC’s
recommendations. These are the most credible sources of information.

University Continued Preparedness Planning

The University has an emergency response plan, and continues to monitor
developments.  As the situation evolves, we will update you as appropriate.

347 Waterman Building, 85 South Prospect Street, Burlington, VT 05405
Telephone: (802) 656-8937 Fax: (802) 656-9220
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer

--
Gary L. Derr
Vice President for Operations and Public Safety

University of Vermont
347 Waterman Building
Burlington, Vermont 05405

(802) 656-8937 (Office)

UVM is subject to the Vermont Public Records Act
and communications to and from this email address,
including attachments, are subject to disclosure
unless exempted under the Act or otherwise applicable law.