Just got email from Google that says

*Improved meeting control features: 'mute' and 'remove'*

For education users, we're only allowing the meeting creator, meeting
calendar owner, or person who sets up a meeting on an in-room hardware
device to mute or remove other participants in a meeting. This means that
if a teacher creates the meeting or owns the calendar the meeting was
created on, students can't remove or mute other students.