My goal was to not have to rate each student or proficiency in a separate
form (so instead of checkboxes the Google form would have to accept 1-4
ratings for each student/proficiency), but that turns it from something
that can be reported out in a spreadsheet into something that has to be
reported out in a database, I think.  I may just end up going with the
Google Form, and ask the mentors to just fill it out separately for each
student.

Thanks!