Thanks, Jim. I will try to remember and make use of the not-spam (and is-spam) addresses… and I’ll tell our journalist that he is a victim of machine-learning.

From: Technology Discussion at UVM <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Jim Lawson
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 10:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Listserv post flagged as spam

Hi Ernie,

It looks like Josh was able to get a copy of the message and was able to forward it to [log in to unmask]

I could speculate on why this particular message tripped the spam threshold, but I'm not sure it would be helpful, as we're not likely to get confirmation.  The more complicated spam filtering gets, the more machine learning that gets involved in the process, the less human understanding of "why" we can arrive at.

I will report this message up to Proofpoint (that's what happens with all the false positives that go to [log in to unmask]), and they'll use it to retrain their classifiers.  Hopefully that means less of this particular author's style will get tagged as spam in the future.

Jim