Thanks for your typically detailed problem report, Wesley. Yours is not the first report we’ve had of poorer video performance in Teams than in Zoom. This is consistent enough that I think it warrants a discussion with Microsoft support.

I’ve been reviewing the docs on managing call quality, including the CQD, and it seems mostly about tuning the networks under your control.  I took a look at the details of your most recent call, and as you might anticipate, Microsoft attributes the poo quality to your network:

But that doesn’t explain the discrepancy in quality between Teams and Zoom. I will confer with my colleagues about next steps.

—Geoff

From: Technology Discussion at UVM <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Wesley Alan Wright
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 4:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Video meetings Teams vs Zoom low bandwidth

Deep in the hollows of Addison County, bandwidth is harder to find than TP. My home DSL is advertised as 13Mbps down and 1Mbps up. That 1Mbps is a real killer of broadcast video.

This is more than apparent in teams. Here’s what my Westford contact saw of me yesterday:

And I of her..

Here, roundtrip from my house Teams;

Compare to Zoom

I can’t find any controls in either app to adjust height, width, target bits/sec. It looks like Teams isn’t dynamically negotiating  bitrate to match the bandwidth. Can we employ the Call Quality Dashboard (CQD) to gain insight into the quality of calls made by using Teams? (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/quality-of-experience-review-guide )

Also, googling suggests a popular request is a grid view of participants widows, as seen above.

Finally, the real deal breaker is background images. We could host virtual classrooms for lectures on the Green.

That said, Teams isn’t all that bad.

Wesley Alan Wright, Retired

UVM Academic Computing Services Legacy Applications Division
Starksboro, VT