To:          UVM Community

From:     Suresh V. Garimella, President
                Wanda Heading-Grant, Vice President for Human Resources,
Diversity, and Multicultural Affairs

Date:      April 17, 2020

Re:          UVM’s Renewed Commitment to Inclusive Excellence

We write to you about a new organizational development. The COVID-19
pandemic has highlighted the need to further prioritize inclusive
excellence at UVM with a focus on outcomes for students, faculty, staff,
and campus climate. Despite the recent challenges the University has
faced due to COVID-19, we are eager to ensure that the University’s
resolve to make excellence inclusive of everyone remains undiminished in
both the short and long term. In fact, in this complex climate we find
ourselves in, the situation demands that we reenergize our actions to
address diversity, equity, and inclusion issues as forcefully and
intentionally as possible.

With these interests and concerns in mind, we are pleased to announce
that beginning May 1, 2020, Dr. Wanda Heading-Grant will assume the
expanded role and focus as Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and
Inclusion, and will work closely with the both the Offices of the
President and Provost.

We hope you share our excitement about this organizational adjustment,
which will allow Wanda to transition her role to one that more
exclusively and effectively focuses on diversity and inclusion efforts,
to the benefit of us all.

Human Resources, which is another critically important function, will be
led by Jes Kraus, Chief Human Resources Officer. The HR Services
department will fall under Vice President Richard Cate, with Jes
reporting to Richard but also working more directly with the president.