[log in to unmask]" alt="" class="">

To:          UVM Community

From:     Suresh V. Garimella, President
               Wanda Heading-Grant, Vice President for Human Resources, Diversity, and Multicultural Affairs

Date:      April 17, 2020

Re:          UVM’s Renewed Commitment to Inclusive Excellence

We write to you about a new organizational development. The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the need to further prioritize inclusive excellence at UVM with a focus on outcomes for students, faculty, staff, and campus climate. Despite the recent challenges the University has faced due to COVID-19, we are eager to ensure that the University’s resolve to make excellence inclusive of everyone remains undiminished in both the short and long term. In fact, in this complex climate we find ourselves in, the situation demands that we reenergize our actions to address diversity, equity, and inclusion issues as forcefully and intentionally as possible.

With these interests and concerns in mind, we are pleased to announce that beginning May 1, 2020, Dr. Wanda Heading-Grant will assume the expanded role and focus as Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and will work closely with the both the Offices of the President and Provost.

We hope you share our excitement about this organizational adjustment, which will allow Wanda to transition her role to one that more exclusively and effectively focuses on diversity and inclusion efforts, to the benefit of us all.

Human Resources, which is another critically important function, will be led by Jes Kraus, Chief Human Resources Officer. The HR Services department will fall under Vice President Richard Cate, with Jes reporting to Richard but also working more directly with the president.