From: Technology Discussion at UVM <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Helen Read <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 10:25 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Bitlocker Troubleshooting

I picked up a new Dell XPS-13 2-in-1 from the Tech Store yesterday (imaged by them, domain joinee). Working from home logged onto my tech account, connected to the VPN. After installing software, several reboots, etc., and leaving the laptop for a few hours, I never got the prompt to encrypt with Bitlocker. I looked for the MBAM client figuring I would jump start it, but the client was not present. I then installed it from the S drive. Now when I run the MBAM client, I get the prompt to encrypt the drive, but it immediately fails. It does not give any error message that might indicate a reason for the failure, just this:

I looked through the Bitlocker pages https://www.uvm.edu/it/security/encryption/bitlocker/

and in the Knowledge Base https://www.uvm.edu/it/kb/article/bitlocker-encryption/

but have not found anything about troubleshooting in this scenario of the MBAM client running but failing to encrypt the drive.

Thoughts?

Helen Read

Senior Lecturer

Department of Mathematics & Statistics