Thanks to all of you who responded.

theres gotta be a chuck norris joke in there somewhere. . . We looked at some shredding equipment at the food venture center during the winter field trip with vffc. . . it was bigger than you would want I am guessing, but they might be folks to call, otherwise a big food processor might be sufficient?

We bought a used robot coupe and it’s awesome for slicing garlic. It’s just a big food processor with a continuous feed and will cut your processing time tremendously. We can slice 100 lbs of garlic in less than an hour.

Industrial Robot Coupe Food Processor with shred blade. Not cheap at all, but it is the best of the best.

We use the RobotCoupe CL-50, and it does the job. We initially used the R2 per universal recommendations from restaurant friends, but we quickly burned out the motor as it's meant to be used for smaller, more diverse projects rather than constant cabbage and root shredding. This is the next step up, more intended for mass production and affordable. From other food processors, it sounds like Hobart is the way to go if you have the money to put towards it, and it will be what I look to purchase next. Hope that helps. Would love to hear what others say.

From my experience you can start with a good processor, then you can move to an attachment to a Kitchen aid to a 5 quart mixer. And if you’re getting commercial scale I would go with an attachment to a Hobart mixer.

--
Scott & Lindsay Courcelle
Alchemy Gardens