Thanks to everyone who responded! Question and replies below.

ORIGINAL QUESTION:

I'm looking for some sage advice on what tricks have worked well to help keep salad greens from getting bitter in the heat. Beyond the standard advice of adequate moisture, high fertility, and early morning harvest, I'm wondering if anyone can weigh in on:

-Specific organic varieties or mixes (for baby lettuce greens and/or EZ leaf/Salanova type greens, not standard full lettuce heads) that have proven particularly successful?

-Experience using shade cloth--does it help? worth the cost? how do you use it?

-Special watering regiments that have helped, beyond the more general advice to keep the soil moist?