https://theintercept.com/2020/06/26/coronavirus-toxic-chemicals-pfas-bpa

Scientists Pin Blame for Some Coronavirus Deaths
on Air Pollution, PFAS, and Other Chemicals

<https://theintercept.com/staff/sharonlerner/>Sharon Lerner

June 26 2020, 12:27 p.m.

Almost six months into the coronavirus pandemic,
it’s already clear that environmental pollution
is responsible for some portion of the hundreds
of thousands of Covid-19 deaths around the world.
Now scientists are trying to pinpoint how exactly
industrial chemicals make people more susceptible
to the coronavirus and how much of the blame for
the devastation wrought by the new coronavirus
should be laid at the feet of the industry that produces those chemicals.

The link between Covid-19 and air pollution is
particularly strong. A
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004896972032221X>study
set to publish in July linked six air pollutants
in 120 Chinese cities with cases of the viral
disease. Researchers in Italy have also
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120332115>shown
that long-term exposure to air pollution is
“significantly correlated with cases of Covid-19”
in up to 71 provinces in that country. And a
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935120305454>study
that used data from California, set to publish in
Environmental Research in August, showed that the
air pollutants PM2.5, PM 10, nitrogen dioxide,
carbon monoxide, and sulfur dioxide were
associated with coronavirus infections. The
authors of that study concluded that reducing
exposure to these pollutants “will contribute to defeating COVID-19.”

Scientists have even managed to measure the
precise harm that a single microgram/cubic meter
increase in air pollution has on a population,
which, according to
<https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/c-change/subtopics/coronavirus-and-pollution/>researchers
from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public
Health, is “an 8% increase in mortality from COVID-19.”

While alarming, these findings aren’t surprising,
according to Linda Birnbaum, the former director
of the National Institutes for Environmental
Health Sciences and the National Toxicology
Program, who stepped down last year. “Everything
in our health is determined by our environment,” she said.

In addition to air pollutants, Birnbaum pointed
to the potential for endocrine-disrupting
chemicals to make people more vulnerable to
Covid-19. Among them are BPA and its
replacements; phthalates, which are found in
makeup, nail polish, and plastics, particularly
food packaging; and
<https://theintercept.com/collections/bad-chemistry/>PFAS,
a class of industrial contaminants most famously
used to make
<https://theintercept.com/series/the-teflon-toxin/>Teflon
and other nonstick products.

Exposure to even very small amounts of these
chemicals has been linked with conditions that
have been shown to make Covid-19 worse.
Phthalates are associated with damage to lungs
and
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1892143/>obesity,
as well as to
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6028856/>diabetes,
the second most common underlying condition in
people who die of Covid-19, according to the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
<https://www.nrdc.org/stories/4-ways-avoid-toxic-chemicals-food-packaging?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpWQzTRy1bRX6loaLpAubxU0OUiaoOPBawTqSAR0DVFm2kQphVkXBHYaAuJLEALw_wcB>BPA,
which is often added to food packaging and drink
bottles, is also linked to obesity, as well as asthma and diabetes.

PFAS, which also interferes with the functioning
of the endocrine system, has been shown to cause
several underlying conditions that leave people
more vulnerable to Covid-19. People with higher
levels of PFAS in their bodies are more likely to
<https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2698634>gain
weight and have a harder time
<https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1002502>losing
it. The chemicals not only increase obesity risk
in those exposed, but also in the
<https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/tes-pwp032520.php>granddaughters
of women who were exposed. And PFAS is associated
with
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30447498/>asthma
and
<https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31394346/>hypertension,
two other conditions that appear to worsen
people’s chances of surviving Covid-19. PFAS
causes kidney disease and
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412019305094>elevates
levels of cholesterol and other fats in the
blood, which also increase the chances that
people with Covid-19 will be hospitalized or need intensive care.

The
<https://www.the-hospitalist.org/hospitalist/article/220457/coronavirus-updates/comorbidities-rule-new-yorks-covid-19-deaths>vast
majority of people who die of Covid-19 had at
least one other illness before they got sick from
the virus. Compared to people who didn’t have
underlying conditions, patients who had kidney
disease, diabetes, lung disease, and heart
disease, among other conditions, are six times as
likely to be hospitalized with Covid-19 and 12
times as likely to die, according to the
<https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6924e2.htm?s_cid=mm6924e2_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM30615>most
recent data from the CDC.

In addition to causing medical problems that make
people more vulnerable to the coronavirus,
several environmental contaminants, including
PFAS, also directly weaken the body’s immune
response. Studies have shown that in both adults
and children higher levels of certain PFAS
chemicals were associated with weaker responses
to vaccines. The Agency for Toxic Substances and
Disease Registry, a division of the CDC,
recognized this evidence in an
<https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/pfas/PFAS-health-effects.html>announcement
it recently posted to its website on the
“potential intersection between PFAS exposure and Covid-19.”

With the pre-pandemic knowledge of the effects of
individual chemicals and the maps showing that
Covid-19 is ravaging polluted areas, the next
step for researchers is to address how exactly
chemicals make individual people more susceptible
to Covid-19. “We now know pollution is associated
with increased infections and more
hospitalizations,” said Birnbaum. “So it has a
role. The question is how much of a role and how
do you show that an individual is getting sick is
because they have higher levels?”

Philippe Grandjean, a Danish scientist who was
the first to show that children with relatively
high
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4402650/>PFAS
levels had immune deficits and were more likely
to get respiratory infections, has already begun
to try to answer this question. Grandjean is in
the process of collecting blood samples of people
who were hospitalized with Covid-19 ­ “just a few
drops of the serum from leftover blood samples
that hadn’t been used” ­ analyzing them for PFAS
levels, and comparing them with PFAS levels from
the blood of people who were infected with the
coronavirus but not hospitalized.

“We really need to understand the connection
between exposures at the individual level and
Covid-19 severity,” Grandjean said. While noting
that several environmental contaminants likely
increase the risk of the disease, Grandjean
expressed particular concern about PFAS compounds
because they can remain in the body for years and
some of them tend to concentrate in the lungs.
Grandjean, who is conducting the research in
Denmark, hopes to have results of the study within the year.

Others are using animal experiments to explore
how chemical exposure affects the impact of the
coronavirus. Paige Lawrence, a professor of
environmental medicine at the University of
Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, plans
to infect mice with a mouse-adapted human
coronavirus that was built from the 2003 SARS
pandemic and study how exposure to PFAS alters
the course of the viral infection.

“We need to understand at a cellular level what’s
changed” by chemical exposure, she said. “We
can’t improve health if we don’t know what we’re
trying to fix.” Lawrence’s past research has
shown that the environmental contaminants dioxin
and PCBs change the immune system by binding to
receptor cells ­ an effect that, in the case of
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6957504-Dioxin-Across-Generations.html>dioxin,
lasts for generations.
Do you have a coronavirus story you want to
share? Email us at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
or use <https://theintercept.com/source/>one of
these secure methods to contact a reporter.

While the research is underway, many of the
people in highly polluted communities worry about
the greater risk they may face during the
pandemic. “I think about it a lot,” said Hope
Grosse, a resident of Warminster, Pennsylvania,
who developed stage 4 cancer while drinking water
that had been contaminated with PFAS from
firefighting foam used at a nearby naval base.
“My immune system was definitely impacted.”
Grosse, who had 25 lymph nodes removed during her
cancer treatment, resumed her work as a realtor
last month and wears gloves and a mask when she
shows houses. “I’m as careful as I can be, but I still worry,” she said.

Whatever we learn from the research now in the
pipeline, some scientists say there is already
enough evidence to lay blame for at least a
portion of the toll of the virus on chemicals ­ and their manufacturers.

“Endocrine-disrupting chemicals are clearly
involved in driving the comorbidities and are
heightening mortality risk from Covid-19,” said
Pete Myers, founder and chief scientist of
Environmental Health Sciences. “You can’t hide
from that truth.” Myers is one of several
environmental scientists who have been pushing
for more than a decade ­ with little success ­
for government to limit the use of these chemicals.

“The American Chemistry Council has impeded our
ability to develop meaningful regulations,” said
Myers, referring to a powerful chemical industry
trade group. “And the result of that is that
these comorbidities have become epidemic over the
last three decades. And now more people are dying than would have.”

Update: June 26, 2020

After publication, the American Chemistry Council
responded with the following statement:

Chemicals are essential to winning the fight
against COVID-19 – federal and state officials
have unanimously made that point clear. ACC
members produce critical ingredients for cleaning
and disinfecting solutions, hand sanitizer,
medical supplies, and personal protective
equipment for frontline workers. Our industry is
working tirelessly to continue to help save lives
and stop the spread of the virus.
The scientific community has a critical role to
play in mitigating the spread not only of the
virus, but of dangerous misinformation about its
causes, effects, and potential treatments.
Speculation about chemicals contributing to
potentially adverse COVID-19 outcomes, this early
in the pandemic, with absolutely no evidence,
falls into the category of disinformation. We
urge the public to be wary of individuals who
seem all too quick to attach personal research
interests and radical policy beliefs about
chemical safety to this tragic pandemic.