https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/lancet-richard-horton-trump-vaccines/2020/07/29/1209b610-d048-11ea-826b-cc394d824e35_story.html
Lancet editor Richard Horton has harsh words for Trump, hope for science
By William Booth <https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/william-booth/>
July 29, 2020 at 10:14 a.m. CDT

LONDON — As editor of the Lancet medical journal, Richard Horton has
overseen publication of some of the most-cited papers of the coronavirus
pandemic, from the first reports from Chinese scientists to the latest
on vaccine
development
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-phase-1-lancet/2020/07/20/12fbbc92-c857-11ea-a825-8722004e4150_story.html?itid=lk_inline_manual_2>.
He has also emerged as an outspoken voice on the failures of the global
response.

In May, his editorial board — based mostly in Britain — stirred controversy
by wading into U.S. politics and advocating
<https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31140-5/fulltext>
that Americans should elect a president “who will understand that public
health should not be guided by partisan politics.”

Now Horton is out with a new book, “The Covid-19 Catastrophe: What’s Gone
Wrong and How to Stop it Happening Again
<https://www.amazon.com/COVID-19-Catastrophe-Whats-Wrong-Happening-dp-1509546464/dp/1509546464/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=>.”
It is an angry work, thrumming with righteous disbelief over mistakes made
in the past six months. He accuses President Trump of a “crime against
humanity” for cutting World Health Organization funding during a pandemic.
He blames British Prime Minister Boris Johnson for thousands of excess
deaths.

Horton spoke via Zoom with The Washington Post to explain why he thinks
politicians and scientific advisers in the United States and Europe got so
much so wrong. He also shared what he expects from research on vaccines and
treatments.

This interview has been edited for length.

*Q: * *You published the first papers from Chinese doctors on the front
line. The United States has been highly critical of China. What do you
think of the Chinese response in those early days?*

*A: *During the first SARS epidemic, Chinese authorities said there was no
outbreak. They tried to deceive the world
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2003/04/17/underreporting-secrecy-fuel-sars-in-beijing-who-says/c52f3982-35df-4069-b9d1-9206cfc6115a/?itid=lk_inline_manual_12>,
until the World Health Organization called them out on it. I think China
learned you can’t sit on this kind of information for long.

I think during December last year, Chinese authorities tried to chase down
what this mysterious pneumonia was, tried to understand the nature of the
outbreak. By the end of the month, they realized they had something very
serious on their hands.

*Q: * *A team from the World Health Organization is in China now trying to
learn more about the origins.*

*A: *We know some of these early cases seem to be linked to the live
markets in Wuhan. But some were not. We don’t really understand the lines
of transmission of the virus in those early days. There’s clearly a
connection between wildlife, the environment, the urban setting. But we
don’t really know where the pieces of that puzzle are or how the pieces of
that puzzle join.

*Q: * *A mysterious pneumonia arises in December. The pathogen is
identified in weeks. Its genetic code is published in January. Now we have
two dozen vaccines now in human trials
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/27/moderna-nih-launch-30000-person-trial-coronavirus-vaccine/?itid=lk_inline_manual_18>.
That seems blisteringly fast.*

*A: *I’ve never seen anything like it in my life. I’ve been at the Lancet
30 years, and I’ve seen many epidemics, many humanitarian emergencies
around the world. And I’ve never seen the world’s research community
respond so fast.

What’s so impressive is that this has been a truly global collective
effort. Every country’s scientists have responded. And so there’s been this
global community effort to bring knowledge to the front lines.

You described the book as angry. I was angry, yes. In the early days. And
still am, to an extent. But I hope the book’s not fully angry, because I
also want to look at the incredible opportunity this pandemic has shown.
Before this pandemic, the research community didn’t work as fast or as
efficiently on urgent problems. It is phenomenal to go from discovery of a
new virus to candidate vaccines in six months. That’s never happened before.

*Q: * *I think you would say that response by the scientific community has
been far better than the response of governments? *

*A: *Yes, and that’s one of the reasons I did get angry. I was seeing the
research community immediately kicking into action, gathering actionable
evidence, for use by policymakers and politicians. And nothing was
happening.

That’s not just a failure of politicians. It’s the failure of those medical
and science advisers who are giving advice to governments, because I don’t
think they picked it up quickly enough, either.

*Q: * *Italy goes into lockdown, then Spain, France, Germany, Britain and
parts of the United States. You can see dithering and dawdling. But Boris
Johnson tells people March 12 you’re going to lose a lot of your loved ones
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/16/britain-coronavirus-disaster/?itid=lk_inline_manual_29>.
A week later, the pubs are closing. A few days later, we’re in lockdown.
That’s not fast?*

*A: *In medical terms, it was slow. If you’ve got an acute public health
emergency, where the virus is literally growing exponentially in your
population, and it’s doubling every three days or so, then you don’t have a
week to make up your mind.

Now, let’s think about how you would respond. The World Health
Organization declares
a Public Health Emergency of International Concern
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/here-is-what-a-who-global-health-emergency-means/2020/01/30/7c561676-4367-11ea-99c7-1dfd4241a2fe_story.html?itid=lk_inline_manual_32>
on Jan. 30. You would imagine that the Foreign Office or the Prime
Minister’s office would ask its embassy in Beijing to give them an
immediate report. Within 24 hours, they would have got the message back: A
SARS virus is tipping people into the hospital. No treatment, no vaccine,
many people dying. Prediction of a global pandemic.

So that’s sitting on the prime minister’s desk on Feb. 1. You would think
they would say: Okay, I need to be getting testing, tracing and isolation
systems in place. Have we got personal protective equipment? How are we
going to think about physical distancing? What’s our policy on schools? How
are we going to stop mass gatherings from transmitting this virus?

All of that should have been discussed within 48 or 72 hours after the
emergency was declared. It didn’t happen.

*Q: * *The British government always says: We follow the science. That is
comforting. These are smart people. What went wrong?*

*A: *It wasn’t just the United Kingdom, it was all of Europe and North
America. The scientists here didn’t take the science coming out of China
seriously.

*Q: * *It was the virus ravaging northern Italy
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/coronavirus-obituaries-bergamo-italy/2020/03/16/6c342f02-66c7-11ea-b199-3a9799c54512_story.html?itid=lk_inline_manual_39>
that slapped them on the face?*

*A: *Exactly. It was only when the epidemic in Lombardy really took off.
That’s when Neil Ferguson [an epidemiologist at Imperial College London]
and others recalculated. They doubled the number of people being admitted
to intensive care in their models. And they suddenly saw the National
Health Service was going to be overwhelmed. That was the critical moment.

*Q: * *When the first Lancet papers came out from the ICUs in Wuhan
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/07/how-doctors-treat-sickest-coronavirus-patients/?itid=lk_inline_manual_43>,
one clinician told me they read like something out of Stephen King novels.
This is terrifying, they said. And the Chinese are deploying sophisticated
medicine.*

*A: *They were doing everything that you would expect to see in a Western
medical setting. But, despite all of that, we didn’t believe it. I think
there was this judgment. It’s a little like the discussion we’re having
about China now. Can we really believe what they say? Are they really
competent in being able to manage these patients?

*Q: * *Do you have confidence in the Imperial College assessment that a
U.K. lockdown a week earlier could have cut deaths here in half? *

*A: *If we had locked down on March 6 instead of March 23, then we could
have absolutely saved 20,000-plus lives.

*Q: * *In your book, you write, “The story of covid-19 in the United States
is one of the strangest paradoxes of the whole pandemic. No other country
in the world has the concentration of scientific skill, technical knowledge
and productive capacity possessed by the U.S. It is the world’s scientific
superpower bar none. And yet this colossus of science utterly failed to
bring its expertise successfully to bear on the policy and politics of the
nation’s response.”*