I can't recall the failure symptoms, but I know that for several printers,
I set *Use driverless configuration *to get it to "work". I see that some
printers are set to go through our CUPS server, but that several go
directly to the printer. (And I can't recall why...)

e.g. ipp://staff-one.school.net:631/ipp/printer <-- direct
vs ipp://munki.school.net:631/printers/_Copier <-- via server

steve