I had a large frequency of CTL branded Chromebooks dying (41? 14J?
whichever the model it was). Sometimes it was also the case that I'd try to
hard reset the power from them, and it would bring itself back to life.
Otherwise, they're just bricked.

You're not losing it--a good chunk of chromebooks will just outright die
for certain reasons. They say that major updates will fix it, but it
doesn't help for all that died before those updates come out.