Hi All,
If I may toss out some thoughts on this…

1) Specific to the video Erica shared — a functional solution, but just remember that you are creating a “worksheet” that is inaccessible to screenreaders and therefore students with visual impairments will have a tough time. I will admit, I’m not fluent on screenreader capacity of Chromebooks, so I’m not sure if even a perfectly formatted PDF is easily dealt with? That’s a whole other issue, but one I assume someone on Chrome has already had to contend with given the number of Chromebooks out there.

2) More generally, if the fundamental goal is to elicit brief text response from kids to a question, then what about some other “simple” solutions like using a google form? If you are taking. The taking the time to reformat a pre-existing PDF into something writable, I bet it would be as quick or quicker to create a form. That would have the benefit of collecting the answers into a spreadsheet for you as a teacher to assess or otherwise have a quicker understanding of how kids are doing on the topic since all the answers would be in one place.

Or, simply a google doc. Yes, kids could alter the questions. You’d have to decide based on the age of your students how much of a headache that would be. If you are creating the worksheet, then I bet frequently you are creating it in a word processing tool like Google Docs anyway. You could simply leave it that way. Perhaps create a table in the document so that there are obviously boxes for students to type into for their responses.

Or, use Google slides, but just put one question per slide using the native slides formatting tools (ie don’t drop a jpg of text that isn’t readable by a screen reader”) and have the kids respond in the speaker notes section.

If you use any of the google tools in their native ways to generate and display text, then you should be creating an accessible document. If you add images, add alt text.

Bottom line, if you are creating a worksheet from scratch, I would avoid trying to create something that has to adhere to a traditional piece of paper if you know it will be completed digitally. Try and use a tool that lends itself to digital use and interaction like a form. If you know that you need something that will be used on paper, but also need a digital version, if you’ve created it, adjusting something from a word processing document into another native digital format is still simpler than converting to PDF, then back to digital.

Jeff

Vermont Fest 2020 — Oct. 28-31, 2020
https://Vita-Learn.org/VermontFest/

Jeff Mao