Speaking as Bjorns IT who handled the process:

We started up Seesaw as a district under a single school when COVID hit. We
had them split it up into our 6 schools and link it to Clever. Bjorn
mentioned teachers in multiple schools. That part just kinda happened on
it's own from our SIS > Clever sync. We're still working on getting things
how we need them in Seesaw but it's almost to the point of being automated.

Initially, Seesaw's recommended sharing rules were to share out classes
whose name contained "Homeroom". That didn't work for us so I worked on
better solutions. My main goal was to minimize data entry in everything but
out SIS. Having to manually mess with data in multiple places creates a
mess as I am sure many of you know.

Initially we decided to add UA classes, I just opened everything up for the
grade levels that were using it and shared all the classes to see what
would happen. Obviously, it created too many classes. Our SIS has
multicourse classes so a single 2nd grade homeroom could consist of
separate SS, Science, LA, and Math classes and each one of those was being
shared out separately to Seesaw. Those teachers generally only want a
single class rather than 4 different classes of the same roster.

Clever is fairly clever (ha!) about determining subjects, though. You can
pass a subject to Clever in the subject field of the sync. If you don't do
that it will look at the name of the class and see what subject might match
it. It's a fairly loose algorithm here. Many of our lower grade classes
have name like 2 <teacher> Homeroom: Math, 2 <teacher> Homeroom: Science.
We also had a 2 <teacher> Homeroom: Transferrable Skills. Math, Science,
LA, and SS seemed to be a higher priority in their matching system than
Homeroom and those got matched accordingly. It couldn't match anything off
Transferrable Skills but saw the Homeroom in the name and assigned that
class as homeroom. So I went with that: Sharing out by school, grade level,
and subject. Clever matches Homeroom, Arts and Music, Health and PE, and
Language. Classes that didn't have a Transferrable Skills just got a 5th
non-reporting Homeroom class in our SIS.

The next thing we encountered was a number of teachers who wanted access to
a class in Clever but are not teaching gradable classes in our SIS. It was
easy enough to create a non-graded non-reporting class in our SIS but then
there was the problem of pushing it to Seesaw after it got into Clever.
There was a subject for "Other" but too many classes were getting assigned
"Other" that I didn't want to pass down since other was used for subjects
it couldn't match.

I found a subject for "Interventions/Online Learning' that wasn't being
used anywhere so I went with this one. Matching off class name was a no go.
Including "Interventions/Online Learning" in a class name would be bulky at
best. Weird to parents who logged into our SIS more likely. Clever can also
match based on Course but it's less loose of a match. I made a course
titled "Online Learning" and it wasn't matching the "Interventions/Online
Learning" subject. I ended up having to match a course named exactly
"Interventions/Online Learning". Now, any class made with that course, gets
pushed to Clever and then to Seesaw so people like our Librarians can have
Seesaw pages without necessarily having a graded class.