On Sep 9, 2020, at 9:25 AM, Jonathan Latham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Michael
You are right it is an interesting case but it is also true that Constantine used Christianity to try to rescue it.
Jonathan

On Sep 9, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Michael Harris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Sep 8, 2020, at 18:02, Jonathan Latham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Kavita
The arguments in the book will challenge quite a lot of people.

Re the "sweeping” generalization. Sweeping of course is very damaging when done badly but of course very valuable when correct. Usually its not correct of course but I believe I can make the case very well.

To elaborate a little:
Essentially the argument is that ancient cultures had policies of divide and rule that were also egalitarian. They were based on moieties and dualistic thinking and quite similar to the buddhist and yogic/vedantic wisdom traditions (see e.g. the book by alphonse ortiz https://books.google.com/books?id=il2I7qOM9cMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Alfonso+Ortiz&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false). The abrahamic religions were a vehicle for doing away with those flexible and egalitarian systems of divisions (which existed to perpetuate political and economic fairness) and replacing them with a division system based on genetics and inherited status (especially hereditary Kingship/nobility/serfdom/etc). Thus the abrahamic religions were indeed loyal servants of imperialism and it is no accident they co-emerged with empires.

This explains why the pagan Romans, for instance, never quite managed to put together an empire.

Yours
Jonathan