---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Democracy Now! <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 7:51 PM
Subject: Trump's Rushed, Racist Vaccine Strategy Seeks Votes, Not a Cure |
Weekly Column

Breaking the Sound Barrier
[image: Breaking the Sound Barrier]
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=c03d26d06e&e=154364e684>
*Weekly Column   Thursday, September 10, 2020*
Trump's Rushed, Racist Vaccine Strategy Seeks Votes, Not a Cure

*By Amy Goodman and Denis Moynihan*

Humanity, confronting the worst pandemic in a century, should be engaged in
an unprecedented collective race for a cure. Under the World Health
Organization, vaccine development is proceeding through a vast, global
collaboration. Noticeably absent, however, is the United States. Here,
President Donald Trump is intent on releasing a vaccine before the November
election, placing his lust for power above the urgent demands of public
health. Millions of Americans could be harmed if Trump forces the release
of a vaccine before it's proven to be safe and effective.

The coronavirus contagion disproportionately impacts African American,
Latinx and Indigenous communities, exposing long-standing inequities and
systemic racism in our healthcare system. Despite this, communities of
color in the US have been underrepresented in the clinical trials for
prospective COVID-19 vaccines.

Centuries of abusive treatment at the hands of medical researchers have
left people of color rightly skeptical of the experimental process.
Everyone wants a cure for COVID-19 and a return to a semblance of life as
we knew it. But the path forward must be inclusive, ethical, and
unambiguously free of Donald Trump's racism and political thuggery.

The most ... Read More โ†’
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=bb383b7d6a&e=154364e684>
Listen Now
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=4aeb4c4435&e=154364e684>
Download Audio โค“
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=24ea54b2d3&e=154364e684>
Related
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=46a601c919&e=154364e684>

*COVID Vaccine Trials Seek Black & Latinx Participants, But History of
Medical Apartheid Sows Mistrust*
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=bc54ea5579&e=154364e684>
As President Trump pushes to release ... Read More โ†’
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=b241763a03&e=154364e684>
NON-COMMERCIAL NEWS NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
We rely on contributions from our viewers and listeners to do our work.
DONATE TODAY
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=403d189e27&e=154364e684>
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=22b4e1604e&e=154364e684>
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=66d13bc9e2&e=154364e684>
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=767390c4f4&e=154364e684>
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=4bdb3d90fd&e=154364e684>
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=8dac13a0bd&e=154364e684>
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License
<https://democracynow.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7c55dbbfa32e541749065a92a&id=c0c8cffb65&e=154364e684>
Democracy Now!
207 West 25th St
11th Floor