---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Democracy Now! <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 7:51 PM
Subject: Trump's Rushed, Racist Vaccine Strategy Seeks Votes, Not a Cure | Weekly Column

Breaking the Sound Barrier
Weekly Column   Thursday, September 10, 2020

Trump's Rushed, Racist Vaccine Strategy Seeks Votes, Not a Cure

By Amy Goodman and Denis Moynihan

Humanity, confronting the worst pandemic in a century, should be engaged in an unprecedented collective race for a cure. Under the World Health Organization, vaccine development is proceeding through a vast, global collaboration. Noticeably absent, however, is the United States. Here, President Donald Trump is intent on releasing a vaccine before the November election, placing his lust for power above the urgent demands of public health. Millions of Americans could be harmed if Trump forces the release of a vaccine before it's proven to be safe and effective.

The coronavirus contagion disproportionately impacts African American, Latinx and Indigenous communities, exposing long-standing inequities and systemic racism in our healthcare system. Despite this, communities of color in the US have been underrepresented in the clinical trials for prospective COVID-19 vaccines.

Centuries of abusive treatment at the hands of medical researchers have left people of color rightly skeptical of the experimental process. Everyone wants a cure for COVID-19 and a return to a semblance of life as we knew it. But the path forward must be inclusive, ethical, and unambiguously free of Donald Trump's racism and political thuggery.

The most ... Read More →

Listen Now
Download Audio ⤓

Related

COVID Vaccine Trials Seek Black & Latinx Participants, But History of Medical Apartheid Sows Mistrust
As President Trump pushes to release ... Read More →

NON-COMMERCIAL NEWS NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT
We rely on contributions from our viewers and listeners to do our work.
DONATE TODAY
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License
Democracy Now!
207 West 25th St
11th Floor
New York, New York 10001