Vandana Shiva makes excellent points here about
the integration of all life and corporate
attempts to commercialize it even further. But
one claim troubled me. Is it an example of
Vandana falling into conspiratorial overreach?

She writes that "on March 26, 2020, at a peak of
the coronavirus pandemic and in the midst of the
lockdown, Microsoft was granted a patent by the
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Patent WO 060606 declares that ‘Human Body
Activity associated with a task provided to a
user may be used in a mining process of a cryptocurrency system…."

As far as I can tell, Microsoft, however, has NOT
(yet) been granted such a patent. See application
at
https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020060606&_cid=P11-KFL01W-25826-1

But the rest of what Vandana writes seems
accurate. And it is reflective of a holistic vision of life that I share.

The corporate behemoth did apply for a patent,
number WO2020060606A1 and then published that application.

Right wing blogs have gone to town on this. Some
make a big deal in announcing that "the first
inventor listed is a jew named Dustin Abramson,
who is a software engineer working with AI. Here
is a
<https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020060606&tab=PCTBIBLIO>link
to the patent and here is the
<https://archive.fo/1GLgN>archive of it in case the original is taken down."

To them, the fact that Abramson is Jewish (most
likely) seems to matter. Why? No mention is made
of the others listed as "inventors" and "agents":

    * ABRAMSON, Dustin
    * FU, Derrick
    * JOHNSON, Joseph Edwin, JR.
Agents
    * MINHAS, Sandip S.
    * CHEN, Wei-Chen Nicholas
    * HINOJOSA, Brianna L.
    * HOLMES, Danielle J.
    * SWAIN, Cassandra T.  [patent attorney at
Microsoft, head of patent team.]
    * WONG, Thomas S.
    * CHOI, Daniel
    * HWANG, William C.
    * WIGHT, Stephen A.
    * CHATTERJEE, Aaron C.
    * JARDINE, John S.
    * GOLDSMITH, Micah P.
    * TRAN, Kimberly
    * PEREZ, Edgar

The Q'Anon movement says that this is patent
"666" -- the sign of the devil -- and that the
"WO" stands for "World Order". The fact is that
millions of patent applications before WIPO are
assigned "WO," which signifies "World
Intellectual Property Organization" and the year of application.

A1 signifies the patent is being applied for, but
is not (yet) granted, though it well might be, down the road.

So are the remaining numbers 060606 the sign of the devil?

Evocative? Yes. How to interpret this -- the word
of God warning everyone against Satan? A randomly
selected designation -- the next number in line?
or a number chosen by Gates or some other being
to scare us, or warn us, or play with our heads?

Q'Anon and others say that patent application, if
granted, would allow Gates et al. to 1) implant
microchips into every person in the world, and 2)
track and commericalize body activity. (Note that
these are two separate claims that are being conflated.)

Microchips, Q says, are to be injected via this
patent into every human being via Bill Gates'
push for worldwide vaccination against Covid-19.

But the patent application is for wearable
technology, such as a smart watch, and makes no
mention of implanted microchips.

Instead, think of FitBits. Or, as per Microsoft,
merging with BitCoins to form FitBitCoins.

Meanwhile, it's clear that the new 5G technology
is needed to accumulate, access, quickly sort
through, and commercialize such huge amounts of data.

Even debunking the idea of microchipping
everyone, the commercialization of human
biological activites (breathing, heart rate,
blood pressure, sweating, etc.) is scary enough.
It is capitalism, taken to the nth degree. Like
genetic engineering, it seeks to colonize and
profit from areas of life that had heretofore
been walled off from direct commercialization.

Could the reason for getting us to stand six feet
apart (as opposed to 4 feet, or 17 feet, etc.) be
to enable satellites and other computerized
"collectors" (which is what Microsoft's
application actually includes) to obtain clear
signals from each person, without one person's
information signal interfering with another
person's? Are we unknwowing victims of a
social-psych experiment performed on us that
takes advantage of the pandemic to prepare us for
getting used to and accepting what's coming down?

I searched through other patent applications
numbered 060606, and there are hundreds upon
hundreds, with no relation to this Microsoft patent application:

<https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2009037056&_cid=P11-KFKZTW-23937-1>WO/2009/037056PNEUMATIC
VEHICLE TYRE
WO - 26.03.2009
Int.Class
<https://www.wipo.int/ipcpub/?symbol=B60C0011030000&menulang=en&lang=en>B60C
11/03 Appl.No PCT/EP2008/060606 Applicant
CONTINENTAL REIFEN DEUTSCHLAND GMBH Inventor SENG, Matthias

This one actually sounds interesting:
<https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2012168245&_cid=P11-KFKZTW-23937-1>WO/2012/168245CHICORY
FOR PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF NEURODEGENERATION
WO - 13.12.2012
Int.Class
<https://www.wipo.int/ipcpub/?symbol=A61K0036280000&menulang=en&lang=en>A61K
36/28 Appl.No PCT/EP2012/060606 Applicant NESTEC S.A. Inventor DURGA, Jane
The invention pertains to a composition
comprising chicory, particularly roasted chicory
root,for use in the prevention or treatment of a
neurodegenerative disorder and/or a loss of
cognitive ability. In a further aspect, the
invention pertains to a non-therapeutic method
for maintaining mental or cognitive capabilities.

What patent applications were numbered 060604, 05, 07?

Well, 060604 is also filed by Microsoft and it
looks to be possibly related to providing
functionality to the patent application under question:
<https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020060604&_cid=P11-KFL07O-27053-1>METHODS
AND SYSTEMS FOR PERSONALIZED, ZERO-INPUT
SUGGESTIONS BASED ON SEMI-SUPERVISED ACTIVITY CLUSTERS
Examples of the present disclosure describe
systems and methods that provide a pipeline to
generate personalized queries that are associated
with and based on a user's interests determined
from a user's past searches, on an Internet
search engine, and/or the content the user viewed
from the past searches. The suggested queries can
be shown in a user interface component associated
with the user interface of the search engine and
before the user enters anything, such as a new
Internet search. This pre-population of searches
associated with a user's interests gives an
opportunity to the user to try these queries
without manually entering in a search string.

What about 060605? Also filed by Microsoft, and also interrelated:
<https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020060605&_cid=P11-KFL0EF-28452-1>APPROXIMATE
NEAREST NEIGHBOR SEARCHING STRATEGY GENERATING
BASED ON REINFORCEMENT LEARNING
The present disclosure discloses a technique for
generating nearest neighbor searching strategy
for vectors based on reinforcement learning. A
searching technology using vectors approximate
matching may be applied in a searching engine.
More particularly, the searching engine may be
subjected to a training by suing a reinforcement
learning so that a mapping relationship between a
calculation state and a behavior action may be
obtained. The searching engine may automatically
generate a searching strategy for an enquiry
content by using the mapping relationship.

How about 060607? Filed by Western Digital
Technologies, it's also apprently applicable to
the Microsoft patent applications (interesting
that these all are located in the same patent
sequences, as though nothing else in the world is
being invented in that period!)
<https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=WO2020060607&_cid=P11-KFL0I6-29186-1>CUSTOMIZING
CONFIGURATION OF STORAGE DEVICE(S) FOR OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENT
Non-limiting examples of the present disclosure
relate to execution of in-situ manufacturing for
a data storage device. In-situ manufacturing is
on-location configuration of a data storage
device within an operational environment in which
a data storage device is being deployed. In-situ
manufacturing occurs at any point after a data
storage device is shipped from a manufacturing
plant or factory. When an operational environment
of the data storage device is known, parameters
of the data storage device can be configured (or
re-configured) on-location within an operational
environment to optimize capacity management as
well as performance of the data storage device.
We should be examining others in proximity to these.

Vandana Shiva is, I think, onto something. And so
are some claims of those movements deemed to be
"conspiracies" and thereby dismissed as "serious" by the Left.

Vandana points to a way to challenge what's
coming down without feeding into right-wing
insanities, while addressing some of the
underlying concerns that motivate many people to
join movements like Q'Anon -- concerns that are
being manipulated by Trump and others and
distorted to serve a white supremacist and fascist agenda.

The Left, on the other hand, must take those
concerns seriously, show how the underlying
concerns are valid, and organize those same
people into focused actions directed at the
system itself and not onto the scapegoats the
right wing is misleading people against.

- Mitchel Cohen

"The dystopia is one where children never return
to schools, do not have a chance to play, do not
have friends. It is a world without society,
without relationships, without love and friendship. "
- Vandana Shiva

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/09/24/bill-gates-global-agenda-and-how-we-can-resist-his-war-on-life/

September 24, 2020

<https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/09/24/bill-gates-global-agenda-and-how-we-can-resist-his-war-on-life/>Bill
Gates’ Global Agenda and How We Can Resist His War on Life

by <https://www.counterpunch.org/author/vandana-shiva/>Vandana Shiva

[]

Photograph Source: Billionaires Success –
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/>CC BY 2.0

In March 2015, Bill Gates showed an image of the
coronavirus during a TED Talk and told the
audience that it was what the greatest
catastrophe of our time would look like. The real
threat to life, he said, is
‘<https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates%20_the_next_outbreak_we_re_not_ready>not
missiles, but microbes.’ When the coronavirus
pandemic swept over the earth like a tsunami five
years later, he revived the war language,
describing the pandemic as ‘a world war’.

‘The coronavirus pandemic pits all of humanity against the virus,’ he said.

In fact, the pandemic is not a war. The pandemic
is a consequence of war. A war against life. The
mechanical mind connected to the money machine of
extraction has created the illusion of humans as
separate from nature, and nature as dead, inert
raw material to be exploited. But, in fact, we
are part of the biome. And we are part of the
virome. The biome and the virome are us. When we
wage war on the biodiversity of our forests, our
farms, and in our guts, we wage war on ourselves.

The health emergency of the coronavirus is
inseparable from the health emergency of
extinction, the health emergency of biodiversity
loss, and the health emergency of the climate
crisis. All of these emergencies are rooted in a
mechanistic, militaristic, anthropocentric
worldview that considers humans separate from­and
superior to­other beings. Beings we can own,
manipulate, and control. All of these emergencies
are rooted in an economic model based on the
illusion of limitless growth and limitless greed,
which violate planetary boundaries, and destroy
the integrity of ecosystems and individual species.

New diseases arise because a globalized,
industrialized, inefficient agriculture invades
habitats, destroys ecosystems, and manipulates
animals, plants, and other organisms with no
respect for their integrity or their health. We
are linked worldwide through the spread of
diseases like the coronavirus because we have
invaded the homes of other species, manipulated
plants and animals for commercial profits and
greed, and cultivated monocultures. As we
clear-cut forests, as we turn farms into
industrial monocultures that produce toxic,
nutritionally empty commodities, as our diets
become degraded through industrial processing
with synthetic chemicals and genetic engineering,
and as we perpetuate the illusion that earth and
life are raw materials to be exploited for
profits, we are indeed connecting. But instead of
connecting on a continuum of health by protecting
biodiversity, integrity, and self-organization of
all living beings, including humans, we are connected through disease.

<https://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo%20/newsroom/news/WCMS_743036/lang--en/index.htm>According
to the International Labour Organization, ‘1.6
billion informal economy workers (representing
the most vulnerable in the labour market), out of
a worldwide total of two billion and a global
workforce of 3.3 billion, have suffered massive
damage to their capacity to earn a living. This
is due to lockdown measures and/or because they
work in the hardest-hit sectors.’ According to
the World Food Programme,
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/22/covid-19-could-detonate-hunger-pandemic-with-millions-risk-world-must-act/>a
quarter of a billion additional people will be
pushed to hunger and 300,000 could die every day.
These, too, are pandemics that are killing
people. Killing cannot be a prescription for saving lives.

Health is about life and living systems. There is
no ‘life’ in the paradigm of health that Bill
Gates and his ilk are promoting and imposing on
the entire world. Gates has created global
alliances to impose top-down analysis and
prescriptions for health problems. He gives money
to define the problems, and then he uses his
influence and money to impose the solutions. And
in the process, he gets richer. His ‘funding’
results in an erasure of democracy and
biodiversity, of nature and culture. His
‘philanthropy’ is not just philanthrocapitalism. It is philanthroimperialism.

The coronavirus pandemic and lockdown have
revealed even more clearly how we are being
reduced to objects to be controlled, with our
bodies and minds as the new colonies to be
invaded. Empires create colonies, colonies
enclose the commons of the indigenous living
communities and turn them into sources of raw
material to be extracted for profits. This
linear, extractive logic is unable to see the
intimate relations that sustain life in the
natural world. It is blind to diversity, cycles
of renewal, values of giving and sharing, and the
power and potential of self-organising and
mutuality. It is blind to the waste it creates
and to the violence it unleashes. The extended
coronavirus lockdown has been a lab experiment for a future without humanity.

On March 26, 2020, at a peak of the coronavirus
pandemic and in the midst of the lockdown,
Microsoft was granted a patent by the World
Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Patent
WO 060606 declares that ‘Human Body Activity
associated with a task provided to a user may be
used in a mining process of a cryptocurrency system….’

The ‘body activity’ that Microsoft wants to mine
includes radiation emitted from the human body,
brain activities, body fluid flow, blood flow,
organ activity, body movement such as eye
movement, facial movement, and muscle movement,
as well as any other activities that can be
sensed and represented by images, waves, signals,
texts, numbers, degrees, or any other information or data.

The patent is an intellectual property claim over
our bodies and minds. In colonialism, colonisers
assign themselves the right to take the land and
resources of indigenous people, extinguish their
cultures and sovereignty, and in extreme cases
exterminate them. Patent WO 060606 is a
declaration by Microsoft that our bodies and
minds are its new colonies. We are mines of ‘raw
material’­the data extracted from our bodies.
Rather than sovereign, spiritual, conscious,
intelligent beings making decisions and choices
with wisdom and ethical values about the impacts
of our actions on the natural and social world of
which we are a part, and to which we are
inextricably related, we are ‘users.’ A ‘user’ is
a consumer without choice in the digital empire.

But that’s not the totality of Gates’ vision. In
fact, it is even more sinister­to colonise the
minds, bodies, and spirits of our children before
they even have the opportunity to understand what
freedom and sovereignty look and feel like, beginning with the most vulnerable.

In May 2020, Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York
announced a partnership with the Gates Foundation
to ‘reinvent education.’ Cuomo called Gates a
visionary and argued that the pandemic has
created ‘a moment in history when we can actually
incorporate and advance [Gates’] ideas…all these
buildings, all these physical classrooms­why with all the technology you have?’

In fact, Gates has been trying to dismantle the
public education system of the United States for
two decades. For him students are mines for data.
That is why the indicators he promotes are
attendance, college enrollment, and scores on a
math and reading test, because these can be
easily quantified and mined. In reimagining
education, children will be monitored through
surveillance systems to check if they are
attentive while they are forced to take classes
remotely, alone at home. The dystopia is one
where children never return to schools, do not
have a chance to play, do not have friends. It is
a world without society, without relationships, without love and friendship.

As I look to the future in a world of Gates and
Tech Barons, I see a humanity that is further
polarized into large numbers of ‘throw away’
people who have no place in the new Empire. Those
who are included in the new Empire will be little more than digital slaves.

Or, we can resist. We can seed another future,
deepen our democracies, reclaim our commons,
regenerate the earth as living members of a One
Earth Family, rich in our diversity and freedom,
one in our unity and interconnectedness. It is a
healthier future. It is one we must fight for. It is one we must claim.

We stand at a precipice of extinction. Will we
allow our humanity as living, conscious,
intelligent, autonomous beings to be extinguished
by a greed machine that does not know limits and
is unable to put a break on its colonisation and
destruction? Or will we stop the machine and
defend our humanity, freedom, and autonomy to protect life on earth?

The above is excerpted from Vandana Shiva’s book
<https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/oneness-vs-the-1/>Oneness
vs. the 1%: Shattering Illusions, Seeding Freedom
(Chelsea Green Publishing, August 2020) and is
reprinted with permission from the publisher.