I posted this on the Green Party's YouTube page
featuring Green Party presidential candidate
Howie Hawkins'  response to the first of 2020's
presidential debates. You can add comments there as well .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnXMVGda9mg&feature=youtu.be

Of course what Howie Hawkins and the Green Party
say is correct, and represents good ideas for the
way forward, although it would have been good for
Howie to have been constrained by the same set of
rules and timing as the Dem & Rep candidates.
Maybe the Green Party can superimpose Howie's
answers into a photoshopped debate.

Yes, it was painful to watch. The belligerent
bully clearly had planned to try to rattle Biden
and throw him off his game, such as it is. He didn't succeed.

There were some differences of character and just
plain human decency that were really stark: Trump
attacking Biden's son Beau (who died of brain
cancer 5 years ago) was just sooooo heartless, no
matter what one thinks of Biden's corporatist and
imperialist politics. On the human level, Biden's
pain really came through honestly, contrasted to
Trump who feels nothing and who cares about nothing.

And on climate change -- and on denouncing white
supremacy  Biden I thought did well. On
Charlottesville, Biden vividly and accurately
described the fascist, white supremacist and
anti-Semitic torch-bearing mob. (Biden, however,
should have mentioned Heather Heyer's name, as a
hero of our movements.) On their response to the
pandemic, too, the differences were stark enough
to convince me, of all people, to advocate voting
in swing states for the Democratic party
candidate despite his awfulness. (I've never
voted for a Democrat or Republican for president
in my entire 71 years ... This year, it's
different. What's the difference? FASCISM, and
our obligation to prevent it, even though we know
what the Democrats are up to in trying to throw us off the ballots.)

Someone described this election as the abysmal
vs. the apocalyptic, and I think that's about right.

There's not a semblance of human decency in
Trump. I hope that carries through to the voters.
I wish the Green Party -- whose program is far
and away the best and most comprehensive -- had
spent the last 4 years building actual
on-the-ground antifascist Green groups. Instead,
it wastes it's time and squanders its political
clout on running candidates in national
elections, which AT THIS POINT IN TIME (not in
years past) can serve as real spoilers and enable
the overt fascist candidate to squeak back into office.

We can't allow that to happen, even though we're
rightly pissed at the Democrats and may get
thrown off some ballot lines. That top down way
of "building a Green base" is not how real change
happens, and in fact, without those direct action
locals, the electoral approach alone could
prevent needed reforms from happening.

Yes, I support Green candidates on the local
level. I support Lisa Savage in Maine, where
there's a single transfer voting set up that
people fought for for years, and I contributed a
small amount (what I could afford) to her
campaign. And in Washington D.C., there's a real
coalition that the Greens are integral to fighting for statehood for D.C.

But again, the overwhelming issue in this
campaign where there are real differences between
the corporate parties are on the question of
saving this planet and of enabling Fascism and
violent White Supremacist militias. The Green
Party MUST stand down from running Howie or
anyone else as a candidate in the Swing states,
and should publicly state that it is doing so.
Should Trump win again in those states, this time
it will indeed be the Green Party that misses the
forest for the trees, and we'll be arguing with
each other in the cattle cars en route to the American Auschwitz.

Mitchel Cohen
Brooklyn Greens