From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wan, NJ (New Taipei City)
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 2:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] [External] [ISOGEOCHEM] N2-CO peak separation tips

Hello John

Thermo uses new design OD 1/8 ench column on EA isolink. So the N2 and CO separation shall be better than TC/EA or Flash HT. I have use the same column on Flash HT, the separation is as well as EA Isolink.

I also have tried Temperature from 1350 to 1450, 1450 has low or none signal between N2 and CO on TCD but very high back ground on mass 28 29 30 on EA isolink system. In my case, I am trying better parameters for d18O calibration to silver tube water STDs. I am very appreciate if anyone have good ideas.

Btw because of different design of the machines between EA isolink and Flash HT, this column type has very bed performance for dD analysis on Flash HT in my experience.

Cheers,

NJ

寄件者: Stable Isotope Geochemistry <[log in to unmask]> 代表 Wolfram Meier-Augenstein (pals) <[log in to unmask]>
寄件日期: Monday, August 31, 2020 8:02:49 PM
收件者: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
主旨: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] [External] [ISOGEOCHEM] N2-CO peak separation tips

*** WARNING: this message is from an EXTERNAL SENDER. Please be cautious, particularly with links and attachments. ***

Hi John,

Good point. I just thought given you are analysing proteins the peak on far left of your TCD trace is a tad small for an H2 peak.

I was also reading across using our TC/EA-IRMS runs of hair.  On our system N2 typically was separated from CO by about 80s peak to peak (ca. 10s peak end to peak start). A difference of 65s as in your case therefore seemed to be in the right ballpark.

Anyhow, let’s say the peak at 101s is H2 and the hump is N2. In this case, you could try dropping the GC temperature to 80°C and see if this improves matters.  Failing that, a combination of GC temp and a slight increase in He flow might do the trick. I noticed the CO peak is a tad on the wide side (>>50s).  Before tweaking the GC conditions, it is probably not a bad idea to bake out the GC column as Wan suggested.

Failing all that, trading up to a longer GC column might be in order. J

One comment on the mass traces.  You are right, NO has mass 30 which is why I was wondering if could be HCN (27; 28; 29).

Best,

Wolfram