Hello isogeochem-community!

We are organising a pre-conference workshop prior to the The Micropalaeontological Society’s Annual Conference.

The aim of the workshop will be to bring together the micropalaeontological and geochemical communities, so that they can learn from each other and understand how they can collaborate to understand data from microfossils.

Timing for the event will be 0800 - 1730 UTC. Poster sessions will be incorporated throughout the workshop, scheduled before discussion panels.

The three panels will have the following themes, and be comprised of 5-7 panellists from a range of micropalaeontological and geochemical backgrounds.

More details about each panel are listed below:

Panel 1: The Influence of Taphonomy and Diagenesis

Summary: Geochemical data is undeniably influenced by the preservation of specimens used. To understand and use (palaeo)ecological, -climatic and -limnological geochemical proxies to their fullest we need to investigate the impacts of preservation (including how taphonomic bias in the fossil record affects the construction of long term proxy records), explore potential mitigations and develop thorough protocols for analysis.

Chair: Dr. Tracy Aze (Leeds)

Panellists

Dr. Chris Hollis (GNS)

Professor Moriaki Yasuhara (The University of Hong Kong)

Professor Christina Riesselman (Otago)

Dr. Andrés S. Rigual Hernández (Salamanca)

Professor Rachel Wood (Edinburgh)

Dr. Stephen Stukins (Natural History Museum, London)

Panel 2: Biology and Ecology - The effect of Life

Summary: Geochemical proxies are usually empirically calibrated because biological processes often impart large fractionations. In addition, seasonally varying production rates and adaptation to specific ecological niches mean that interpreting proxy signals in fossil material can be challenging. This session aims to highlight current approaches used to transfer ecologically- and biologically-dominated signals into robust environmental reconstructions.

Chair: Dr. Takashi Toyofuku (JAMSTEC)

Panellists

Dr. Clara Bolton (CEREGE)

Dr. Patrick Frings (GFZ Potsdam)

Dr. Eleni Anagnostou (GEOMAR)

Professor Kaustubh Thirumalai (University of Arizona)

Dr. Kara Bogus (Camborne School of Mines)

Dr. Yama Dixit (Earth Observatory of Singapore)

Panel 3: Learning from Microfossils on the Microscale

Chair: Professor Jennifer Fehrenbacher (Oregon State University)

Panellists:

Dr. Pallavi Anand (Open University)

Dr. Assaf Gal (Weizmann Institute of Science)

Dr. Thomas Chalk (Southampton)

Dr. Anne Jantschke (TU Dresden)

Professor Emi Ito (Minnesota)

We’re so excited to host all these fantastic researchers and are super excited for the discussions and presentations! All panels will be made available for asynchronous viewing to widen participation.

You can register on the link below. Registration closes on November 1st!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfKFJgUSHrZ2bEUE-YQyxX5nSGgFSuiEkq0rwa6VDwK3P7q8Q/viewform

Early career researchers and those from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to attend and present. All participants at this event must additionally adhere to the TMSoc Code of Conduct (see registration form).  We have designed this event with equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility at the core, and measures will be in place including closed captioning and colour blind friendly graphics. If you have any particular requirements, please get in touch on [log in to unmask] and we will do our best to accommodate!

There is no charge for this event, however we are encouraging donations (“pay what you can” approach) to a fund which we intend to distribute 50:50 to the 500 Women Scientists Fellowship for the Future and TMSoc Awards Fund (more details to follow).

We will post more updates on our webpage:

https://www.tmsoc.org/events/tms-microfossil-geochemistry-workshop/

Hope to e-see you in November!

Sending happy micropalaeo vibes your way,

The Microfossil Geochemistry Workshop Organisers

Rehemat Bhatia (TMSoc Publicity Officer)

Oscar Branson (Cambridge)

David Evans (Goethe Universität Frankfurt)

Lorna Kearns (University of Southampton)

Katrina Nilsson-Kerr (Heriot Watt)

Lucy Roberts (University of Nottingham)

**This workshop is not affiliated with and does not reflect the views of our respective workplace institutions and organisations**