Um, possibly to enhance patient care???
No obtaining an ACCURATE ABI is not a simple task.  But it was and is one
of our first and best tools for assessing lower extremity vascular
impairment.  I doubt training MA's or other capable professionals to
perform this procedure threatens our profession.
I have taught many different people how to do this, (as well as the
difference between an arterial and venous Doppler signal)
Perhaps my favorite students were Podiatrists.  But I was grateful to teach
anyone who really cared.