Um, possibly to enhance patient care???
No obtaining an ACCURATE ABI is not a simple task.  But it was and is one of our first and best tools for assessing lower extremity vascular impairment.  I doubt training MA's or other capable professionals to perform this procedure threatens our profession.
I have taught many different people how to do this, (as well as the difference between an arterial and venous Doppler signal)
Perhaps my favorite students were Podiatrists.  But I was grateful to teach anyone who really cared.