Thanks to the sixteen producers who have responded so far. I appreciate your taking the time so we all can learn. Their answers follow the questions:

How are employers handling the vaccination issue? Put another way, Is a Covid vaccination a condition of employment?

We are lucky as all our young staff have signed up and will be getting their jabs soon. I’m hard assed and would require it as a condition for employment, unless extreme medical conditions. Both my wife and myself have received 2 jabs now, but Continue to require masks until all have been vaccinated

Hi Will, good question! We are strongly recommending, not requiring. Some reluctance but 2 out of 3 now vaccinated. Hopefully, as others come on board they will be less hesitant.

Hi All

My H2a guys where initial resistant to the vaccine but  more knowledge and understanding they had the more excepting they where to receive the covid vaccine  .

My guys go today for there 2nd COVID shot .

Was asking myself the same question the other day, this article was mildly helpful: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2021/03/06/workplace-covid-vaccine-policies/

We were lucky that all our people were interested in getting it. We also made work time available for them to register.

From what I’ve read, mandating an experimental medical procedure is against the law.  There are lawsuits in progress for colleges and businesses that are trying to do this.

There is a precedent set with an approved vax for smallpox in the state of MA in early 1900s that was upheld by the Supreme Court but other than that, I don’t think medical procedures can be legally required, especially ones with only an experimental approval.

I’m interested too as my Jamaicans aren’t interested in “putting that in my body”.

Definitely not required

I will require it!

As much as we want all our employees to get vaccinated, I understand that we are not allowed to require it as a condition of employment until the vaccines get full approval. They currently have emergency approval, which according to the FDA, is not full approval.

Apparently, the prohibition of a requirement  for vaccination under the EUA only applies to federal requirements/officials, not private employers or institutions:  https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/05/authorization-status-covid-19-vaccine-red-herring-mandating-vaccination/

Thanks for asking this question.

We at ***** Farm are not going to make it a condition of employment but we will encourage it and pay folks for their time to go get one. We also get H2A employees and they are more fearful but we hope once they are here and see that we all got the vaccine, they will want to as well.

I would inquire with the Department of Labor for the proper answer and yield to that response.  I did a bit of internet searching and even the official responses are all over.  cdc.gov has guidance listed too.

Now regardless of who is vaccinated it is a good idea to mention Covid19 in your health and hygiene policies along with a mask and PPE that everyone should abide too.

Here is our gig. So I was hemming and hawing about asking all crew members to be vaccinated, but then one of our crew tested positive (the one person who was very resistant and “no way am I putting that in my body”). Of course that person loves gummy bears and microwaves every lunch in a plastic container, but that is for another time… Anyhow, luckily they only worked one day while being contagious before learning that their mom who they live with was positive and 5 people at that work place…. So we all immediately tested all negative and tested a week later all negative again.

The stress level for my crew was not worth it and the payed time to get tested was unfortunate. My doctor and the state health person who called said our safety protocols of double masking no matter what, strict 6+ feet distancing and good sanitation meant we were very unlikely to have a spread and we did not fortunately.

This is my policy “we have a vaccinated work place so if you are a new employee a job is available if you are vaccinated. If you are an existing employee we request vaccination, if you are not going to vaccinate we have a change of position to 5 hours/week clearing deer fence by yourself”.

Final thought last year masking and distancing was the “best and safest we can do” this year masking, distancing and vaccinating is the best and safest we can do, and we are going to do it…

This may sound harsh and rigid, but people’s lives depend on everyone making equal “sacrifice” if you look at it that way… I look at it as everyone being compassionate for their fellow workers and humanity as a whole…

We are not requiring it.  I have informed everyone about the how to clock in covid sicktime, as the FFCRA is now offering tax credit for covid related time off.  I found it curious how the Employees Rights poster was overly minimal with what is actually covered.  Here is the poster, which pays no mention to covering vaccine time, yet in the Act it indeed qualifies, so I wrote that onto the poster so my employees would know the expansion relating to vaccines:

Expansion of the FFCRA:

·  New Qualifying Reasons for FFCRA Paid Leave. FFCRA paid leave qualifying wages provided by a covered employer to employees for which the tax credit may be taken as of April 1 have been expanded to include the following absences: (a) the employee is seeking or awaiting the results of a diagnostic test for, or a medical diagnosis of, COVID-19 and such employee has been exposed to COVID-19 or the employee's employer has requested such test or diagnosis; (b) the employee is obtaining a COVID-19 vaccination; or (c) the employee is recovering from any injury, disability, illness, or condition related to a COVID-19 vaccination.  These expanded reasons apply to both paid sick leave and paid family leave.

As the rest of our staff is voluntarily vaccinated, I have stated that to make workflow easier, we greatly prefer anyone new to get vaccinated. I had one person who said they had Covid in the wintertime so I considered letting them join us without vaccination, though that makes me uncomfortable since I have no proof when they had it and the jury is still out about how long the antibodies last.