Hi all,

The consistent precipitation over the past two weeks has led to the  arrival and buildup of some disease and increased pest pressure over the last week.

Some highlights from the field:

  *   Spotted Wing Drosophila populations seem to be building and continue to be found in traps within the region and some growers are reporting damage.  We are yet to verify the reported damage, but we are confident that SWD is flying and laying eggs  in berry crops and adult numbers are bound to increase going forward.

  *   Disease pressure is increasing in some crops at UVM's Horticultural Research Center and other farms in the region. Two prevalent diseases that we've observed are downy mildew  in onions <http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Onions_Downy.htm> and septoria leaf spot<https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-sheets/tomato-leaf-blights#:~:text=Septoria%20leaf%20spot%20(Septoria%20lycopersici,mature%20properly%2C%20and%20low%20yields.> in tomatoes. We get the feeling that we'll have much higher disease incidence to report out next, so stay tuned. Also, cucurbit downy mildew has been verified on Long Island <https://cdm.ipmpipe.org/> and is likely on its way northward.

  *   Swede midge risk is increasing in broccoli and kale plantings throughout the region. We are finding swede midge damage on the leaves and growing tips of a number of plants.

  *   The second leek moth flight of the season is waning in most of the region and populations have transitioned into their egg/larval stage. Feeding damage from larvae is being observed in alliums, especially onions and shallots.

FYI, our website is back up and running as normal. You can again find the expanded notes on specific pests at go.uvm.edu/pests<http://go.uvm.edu/pests>.
For detailed management information about these pests, as well as a comprehensive guide to current production and pest management techniques for commercial vegetable crops, check out the <https://nevegetable.org/> 2020<https://nevegetable.org/>-<https://nevegetable.org/>2021 New England Vegetable Management Guide<https://nevegetable.org/>.<https://nevegetable.org/> And, as always feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions. ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> & [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)
Thanks,
Vic

Victor Izzo, Ph.D.
Lecturer & Educational Coordinator
Agroecology and Livelihoods Collaborative
Department of Plant and Soil Science & Environmental Studies
University of Vermont
http://www.uvm.edu/agroecology/vic-izzo-ph-d/

[he/him/his pronouns - why<https://www.glsen.org/sites/default/files/GLSEN%20Pronouns%20Resource.pdf>]

cell: (802) 999-6906
"a great deal of chaos in the world occurs because people don't appreciate themselves" ~ Chogyam Trungpa

"there is a crack in everything. that is how the light gets in" ~ Leonard Cohen