Hi all,

First we wanted to start off with a reminder that you can always find the full report at  go.uvm.edu/pests <http://go.uvm.edu/pests> .

In the past week we have seen an increase in damage from both pests and diseases in the region. Luckily many of the plants where we are finding pests and diseases seem to be tolerating the damage, especially with insect pests. Still, careful monitoring during this time period can pay significant dividends to reduce spread within fields.

Some of the highlights are below:

*please note the information for our upcoming pest & disease event below

  *   Spotted wing drosophila populations are beginning to increase. Over the next couple of weeks, we expect to see increased damage. SWD damage is being reported in some raspberry plots in Vermont and the surrounding region.  Early blueberry varieties that we are monitoring on several farms are clean so far this season, with no eggs or damage being found.  This is not a complete surprise as SWD prefers raspberries to blueberries and populations are still building in Vermont.

You can see an interactive SWD trap map here<https://fruit.cornell.edu/spottedwing/distribution/>.

  *   The second flight of leek moth has mostly ended in the region and damage from larvae is building in most alliums.  Noticeable window-paning damage is being found in onions at most farms that we've visited.
  *   Thrips damage has increased significantly in onions across the region. Many farmers are reporting high amounts of onion thrips damage.
  *   Hornworms are being found in most field and hoop house tomatoes.  A fun strategy for finding hornworms is to use a blacklight flashlight at night. The caterpillars' skin will glow and be easier to find. You can also listen to some 70's classic rock while you do it!

Some of the major diseases that are cropping up in the region are : (click on the highlighted links for fact sheets)

  *   Cucurbit downy mildew<https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-sheets/cucurbits-downy-mildew#:~:text=Downy%20mildew%20caused%20by%20Pseudoperonospora,%2C%20watermelon%2C%20and%20other%20cucurbits.> risk is high in the region with a new confirmed occurrence in Rhode Island. Vermont growers are also at high risk of pathogen spread throughout most of the region. See: Downy Mildew Forecast<https://cdm.ipmpipe.org/forecasting/>
  *   Bacterial wilt<https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-sheets/cucurbits-bacterial-wilt> is being found in numerous cucumber plantings. Cucumber beetle is a primary vector of this disease, see the full pest report for cucumber beetle info.
  *    Club root<https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-sheets/brassicas-club-root> has been reported in broccoli and some other brassicas in the area.
  *   Septoria leaf spot<https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-sheets/tomato-leaf-blights> is also being reported in high frequency in the region from many tomato growers.

Pest & Disease Walk for Commercial Growers

THURSDAY, AUGUST 12, 2021 - 3:30PM TO 5:30PM

Join UVM pathologist Ann Hazelrigg, and entomologists Vic Izzo and Scott Lewins, for a field walk to learn about, identify and discuss solutions for this year's pests and diseases, including integrated pest management (IPM) techniques. This workshop will be hosted at the certified organic mixed vegetable farm Bear Roots Farm in Williamstown and is geared toward commercial organic vegetable growers

This workshop is free to attend for commercial growers and all BIPOC attendees. Pre-registration required.

 For more information, check out:

https://nofavt.org/events/pest-disease-walk-commercial-growers-0

Victor Izzo, Ph.D.
Lecturer & Educational Coordinator
Agroecology and Livelihoods Collaborative
Department of Plant and Soil Science & Environmental Studies
University of Vermont
http://www.uvm.edu/agroecology/vic-izzo-ph-d/

[he/him/his pronouns - why<https://www.glsen.org/sites/default/files/GLSEN%20Pronouns%20Resource.pdf>]

cell: (802) 999-6906
"a great deal of chaos in the world occurs because people don't appreciate themselves" ~ Chogyam Trungpa

"there is a crack in everything. that is how the light gets in" ~ Leonard Cohen