Dear NSF Principal Investigators.

The National Science Foundation (NSF) issued a new PAPPG, NSF 23-1, dated January 30, 2023, which included new Responsible and Ethical Conduct of Research (RCR) Training Guidance, as follows.

Beginning July 31, 2023, NSF expanded its Responsible and Ethical Conduct of Research (RCR) Training requirement to include all faculty, principal investigators, co-principal investigators, and senior personnel who are conducting research and paid from an NSF grant awarded to UVM directly or as a subrecipient.

Current

RCR Training

Requirements

Effective 7/31/2023

New RCR Training

Requirements

  • Undergraduate students
  • Graduate students
  • Postdoctoral researchers
  • Faculty
  • Principal Investigators
  • Co-Principal Investigators
  • Senior Personnel
  • Undergraduate students
  • Graduate students
  • Postdoctoral researchers

Beginning July 31, 2023, UVM’s RCR Training email reminder will include principal investigators, co-principal investigators, and senior personnel as well as other faculty, undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, paid from an NSF funded research project awarded to UVM directly or as a subrecipient. The RCR reminder email is delivered monthly only to those who have not completed the required RCR Training.

Once Trained, UVM receives an electronic complete verification from our on-line training provider, CITI and at that time the RCR email reminders will stop.

Currently, RCR Training is only required once. The RCR training will apply to any USDA awards as well.

To prepare for this new requirement, you can complete this training at any time, beginning immediately.

Below is the navigation to our on-line provider, CITI.

  1. CITI Login for those who are already registered for a UVM CITI Account

  1. Go to the CITI Login page.
  2. Choose "Log in through my Institution" and scroll down to click on "University of Vermont".
  3. Login using your UVM NetID and Password (if necessary).
  4. From the Main Menu, select "University of Vermont Courses."
  5. Select "Add a Course."
  6. Choose "Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) - Basic."
  7. Start course and complete the Required Modules.
  8. Users may save their work and return to CITI at any time to complete the training. When you return to CITI, always login thru "Log in through my Institution". This avoids creating multiple CITI accounts and having to restart training.

NOTE: DO NOT CHOOSE "Responsible Conduct of Research - Refresher". This course will NOT satisfy the requirement.

Resources:

UVM web resource page: Responsible Conduct of Research Training Requirement – NSF (the RCR webpage will be updated soon to reflect the new requirements)

Questions:

Questions, or if assistance is needed, please contact UVM’s RCR Coordinator, [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask].

Thank You,

Brian

Brian Prindle, MBA, CRA | Executive Director | Signing Official

University of Vermont

Research Administration and Integrity

Office of the Vice President for Research

213 Waterman | 85 South Prospect Street

Burlington, VT 05405-0160

Email: [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the SPANEWS list, click the following link:
&*TICKET_URL(SPANEWS,SIGNOFF);