re: Typed emotion @*&$!!!!

I will agree that you can, if you try, type emotion... but you should always
be aware that you have to force yourself.

When I talk to someone in person, or on the phone, my emotions look after
their own transmission.  I don't need to filter them through a text medium.
I don't 'think about them and then express them'.  Sometimes, they even
betray me..... Typing is a 'narrower bandwidth' and EMAIL, as in this
note is a one-way message (as I type I do not get responses typed or
otherwise expressed).

Typing also facilitates lying.  Be aware and beware.  It also facilitates
mis-interpretation by the reader -- especially when emotion is squeezed
through the narrow ascii text band.  What were my intentions when I typed
@$&$!!! at the start of this note?  Was it:  I'm *mad* or I'm excited! or
I've got something to show off (proud).  or even I'm confused@$&... Or was
it several or all of the above?

On the other hand, for many communicative transactions, typing is more
effective because it forces a more sensible sentence construction and
helps to stay on topic. And typing requires thought and allows you to
change the message before it is sent.  You can even... as I often do,
type a long message and decide to NOT send it. Having got it off my
chest without putting it on someone else's back.

Tracy Kolenchuk               |Domain: [log in to unmask]
Corporate Information Service | People who say it can't be
    Project Manager           | done are often interrupted
N.A.I.T                       | by someone doing it.