Mike Wireless suggests

     I think we should take a vote on this list:  Let's abolish it,
     and instead once a day publish the Subject:  lines of the
     messages, and have a way to get the messages that you find
     "interesting" - perhaps with the email server that Glenn mentions.

     That way, we can get rid of all that wasted and unnecessary
     bandwidth.

     What do we say, folks?

Mike,

No need to vote. You can have it your way, and I can have it my way,
and other folks can have it yet a different way.  The latest version
of LISTSERV software is really a neat advance in mailer technology.

- There is a way to just get the subject line -- send a message to the
[log in to unmask] with the instructions "set communet index".
Then, once a day you will get a list of the subject lines, and
instructions on how to receive them.

- Or, for people who don't trust automatic indexing, you can get all of
the COMMUNET messages rolled up into one bundle -- send a message to
the [log in to unmask] with the instructions "set communet
digest".

- And, if you get your new V.fast modem or you ISDN line, you can get
the messages as they trickle in -- just "set communet mail."

Neat stuff. Much thanks to the folks at Listserv, Inc. :-)

Steve