        Greetings netters.  I know this may be a bit long for some, but I
am looking for feedback on the following Internet description I have come
up with.  Any suggestions on how to describe the Internet to unenlightened
people (specifically potential FreeNet participants) will be appreciated.
I can summarize if people find this interesting.
        I do ask that if you find this description worthwhile, that you
keep some form of appropriate credit with it.

> [...]
>tried to describe how to use the Internet in terms of the "types of
>connections" that can be made, and the tools used to make those connections.
>I came up with a small list and tried to describe each type of connection.
>
>        The basic connections that I make over the Internet are: mail, Usenet,
>gopher, ftp, telnet, wais, and irc.  Once you know how to use these tools,
>it's simply (well, maybe not simple, but...) a matter of finding out what
>services are offered on the other end of each type of connection.  I list them
>here in a semblance of order of importance.
>

>*  Electronic Mail is used to send electronic letters or messages to other
>individuals, just like our current post office.  The difference is that e-mail
>uses instantaneous delivery.  To use mail, I use one of the many mail reader
>programs available in various forms.  These allow me to read mail sent to me,
>compose messages to send to others, and store messages sent to me for later
>perusial.
>
>*  Usenet is a series of computers that agree to transfer messages relating to
>different topics.  Each topic is called a newsgroup.  There are currently
>about 2,000 newsgroups.  Reading newsgroups is similar to mail, but instead of
>messages being sent to individuals, messages are sent and stored by topics for
>anyone who is interested to read.
>
>*  Gopher is a program (and protocol) designed by the University of Minnesota.
> It is a connected set of menus that allow for a simple menued interface to
>almost all the other services available.  Each location (school, business,
>organization) maintains their own menus, but all of these are linked to the U
>of M so that it creates a super-structure of available services of the
>Internet.
>
>*  FTP stands for file transfer protocol.  It is a tool (and protocol) to
>directly connect from host to host over the Internet to allow you to transfer
>files.  Many machines are set up to accept 'anonymous logins' so that anyone
>can connect and transfer (download) files that are kept in large stockpiles
>called repositories or archives.
>
>*  Telnet is a tool used for direct connection from host to host over the
>Internet.  It allows for any text transfers of various types.  These direct
>connections can be used to link to automated services like databases, or to
>'log in' to other systems on the Internet.
>
>*  WAIS stands for Wide Area Information Server.  It defines a method of
>connection so that queries (requests for certain kinds of data) sent to WAIS
>servers (computers storing text documents) can be filled with all pertinent
>data and sent back to the person requesting the information.
>
>*  IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat.  This allows people to talk to each
>other in real time.  It is similar to using the CB radio, as it uses different
>channels for different conversations.  Anything typed is instantly seen by all

Cheers,

    Grant Bowman               Delta Sigma Phi, Technology Task Force

         ...the issue is decided nowhere else than HERE and NOW.
                              William James