On Tue, 8 Jun 1993, Susan Mernit, Scholastic wrote:

> Carla, and everyone, the message from the university professor about
> the loss of free Internet access has crossed my screen from a few lists
> and repostings. Judging by the hysterical tone, and the fact it was launched
 the
> same day that the CLinton and Gore white house email addresses were
> *exploded*, I suspect this is, if not a hoax, someone's sly project
> for getting lots of aggrieved maiul to the White House.
> NO bills have been pass that make the loss of university access to the net
> --or a big boost in cost--an imminent threat.

  This is erroneous, Susan.  The NSF Program Solicitation issued May 6,
1993, together with two bills now pending in Congress (S. 4; HR 1754),
will support the hostile takeover of the NREN/Internet by private
industry, leaving the NREN community by the side of the road.  Articles in
the Chronical of Higher Education (May 19), and Science (May 21), as well
as the May 31 edition of FINS, describe this situation in some detail.
The attempt to portray these events as "a hoax" is preposterous.  If you
have not read these materials, do so immediately.

*             Vigdor Schreibman, Editor & Publisher            *
*           Federal Information News Syndicate (FINS)          *
*                   18 - 9th Street, NE #206                   *
*                   Washington, DC 20002-6042                  *
*                      Voice: 202-547-6106                     *
*                Internet: [log in to unmask]               *