Prentiss Riddle writes:

>I take it that the assumption here is that anything that comes from
>a school must be safe for minors.  Doesn't this overlook the
>possibility that *minors* will post objectionable material?

As you suggest, you need to rely on the school disciplinary process,
which probably requires a certain loss of privacy for effectiveness.

But what if it comes from a teacher and disciplinary proceedings are
not forthcoming? A scary scenario indeed.

Not sure what to respond to this, other than to suggest a centralized
model such as mailing lists or groupmail.

> Personally, I think that if segregation of the networks has
>to happen it shouldn't be K-12 vs. the adults, but rather K-6 or K-8
>vs. the older kids and the adults.

Good suggestion. At some point, we begin to recognize children as
having some of the capacities and responsibilities of adults, and as
being responsible for their actions. To my mind, a more appropriate
reaction to "Mommy, Daddy, look what I found on the net!" would be
"Why did you violate the school's policy on appropriate use of the
computer system, dear?"