I've seen some requests for Free-Net bibliography.

In addition to those from the medical literature recently posted, and
those available in electronic form (some good places to look are
nptn.org [no surprise there] directory /pub/nptn.info and
alfred.carleton.ca in the directory /pub/freenet/working.papers), the
following print sources might be worth a look:

Geffert, Bryn. "Community Networks in Libraries: A Case Study of the
Freenet P.A.T.H." in _Public Libraries_ (March/April 1993) pp.91-99

Machovec, George S. "The NPTN and the Cleveland Free-Net Community
Computer System" in _Online Librairies and Microcomputers_ vol.viii,
no.11 (Nov. 1990) pp.1-4

Maciuszko, Kathlen L. "A Quiet Revolution: Community Online Systems"
in _Online_ (Nov. 1990) pp.24-32

Mattison, David. "The Victoria Free-Net: A Report from Canada's First
Free-Net" [I'm not sure exactly where this is from, I believe the
Journal of the British Columbia Libraries Assn.] pp.37-38

Silva, Marcos. "Internet and Public Libraries" in _ABQ/QLA_ [the
journal of the Quebec Library Assoc.] (Sept.-Dec. 1992) pp.11-13

Strangelove, Michael. "Free-Nets: Community Computing Systems and the
Rise of the Electronic Citizen" in _Online Access_ vol.8, no.1
(Spring, 1993) pp.46-47

Of course, for inspirational reading there is always:

Grundner, Tom. "Who's Internet Is It Anayway? -- A Challenge" in
_Online_ (July 1992) pp. 6,7,10

and looking at back issues of local papers from places where Free-
Nets exist from roughly the time when they were launched, is bound to
provide some more.

Hope this has helped.

If anyone knows of other sources for Free-Net (or Community Computer
System) info or research not mentioned above PLEASE let me know

David Tallan ([log in to unmask])
or [log in to unmask]
snail: 42 Camberwell Rd. Toronto ON M6C 3E8