On Sun, 13 Jun 1993, P R Teachout wrote:

>  >>Technology choosen by public policy...
>
> >This is a concept I'd like to see explored. What are examples of
> >technology chosen by public policy that are worth studying?
>
> Would the 'triumph' of VHS over BETA be one?  Or the current
> situation where dual standard modems are becoming popular because
> there seems to be no clear winner in the HST vs V.32 problem?

  The idea of choosing the normative purpose of a community, together with
the institutional/technological strategy for realizing those purposes, was
first conceptualized by Hasan Ozbekhan, in the late 1960's. The idea was
put to large scale use in his plan for the Future of Paris as a "global
city," which was designed during 1971-1974 (when I met with him while
working on a similar project of my own). Ozbekhan's plan called for (among
other innovations), the development of a world-wide "financial information
management system," a center of "knowledge based services," and a city of
"knowledge workers." [Ozbekhan, The Future of Paris, in ROYAL SOCIETY OF
LONDON, PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS SERIES A, at 287, 523 (1977)] [Ozbekhan
has for many years been Chairman of the Department of Social Systems
Sciences, at the Wharton Scool of Finance, of the University of
Pennsylvania].

*             Vigdor Schreibman, Editor & Publisher            *
*           Federal Information News Syndicate (FINS)          *
*                   18 - 9th Street, NE #206                   *
*                   Washington, DC 20002-6042                  *
*                      Voice: 202-547-6106                     *
*                Internet: [log in to unmask]               *