On Tue, 8 Jun 1993, Grant R. Bowman wrote:

>         We do need to keep abreast of these situations, but the original
> letter was pure fear and speculation.  I would like to see other opinions
> on the KNOWN pending legislation (S. 4; HR 1754).  I think pointers to full
> text along with summaries are the only way to stay really informed.

  Grant, HR 1757 is undergoing an amendment in the nature of a substitute,
as we speak.  This is being engineered behind closed doors, absolutely
without public knowledge.  There is no open debate, no coherent planning
process, no encouragement or facilitation of meaningful public
participation.  Such plas as have been  disclosed, like the NSF Program
Solicitation and the original HR 1757, are indeed moving in the directions
suggested in recent messages.  Do you really think that sitting back and
waiting until the finished product of this back door dealing is dumped down
our throats, is the best strategy by which to respond to this situation?

Vigdor