At  1:51 PM 6/08/93 -0400, Vigdor Schreibman - FINS wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Jun 1993, Grant R. Bowman wrote:
>
>>         We do need to keep abreast of these situations, but the original
>> letter was pure fear and speculation.  I would like to see other opinions
>> on the KNOWN pending legislation (S. 4; HR 1754).  I think pointers to full
>> text along with summaries are the only way to stay really informed.
>
>  Grant, HR 1757 is undergoing an amendment in the nature of a substitute,
>as we speak.  This is being engineered behind closed doors, absolutely
>without public knowledge.  There is no open debate, no coherent planning
>process, no encouragement or facilitation of meaningful public
>participation.  Such plas as have been  disclosed, like the NSF Program
>Solicitation and the original HR 1757, are indeed moving in the directions
>suggested in recent messages.  Do you really think that sitting back and
>waiting until the finished product of this back door dealing is dumped down
>our throats, is the best strategy by which to respond to this situation?

Vigdor,
        Did I say we need to turn our backs?  Please reread the quotation
you made of my original post.  I said "We do need to keep abreast of these
situations" and your information helps with this.  I think that the
original letter on it's own merrit is not worth considering, but some of
the information you provide warrants further investigation, definately.
        Does anyone ELSE know about this, or have another perspective?
        Is there any way to get ahold of the current incarnation of HR 1757
in any form, knowing that the changes are coming?

        I also agree with Frans.  We shouldn't cry wolf if the system is
evolving into something different.  We need to weigh all changes, and then
see if they are good or bad.  The Internet, in it's current incarnation,
will not last forever, it will be superseeded.  "It's just a matter of who
and when?" (NPTN)

Cheers,

   Grant Bowman                   Delta Sigma Phi, Technology Task Force
   [log in to unmask]      All hardware is worthless.  --Torque Systems