 > From:         Nancy Willard ESD <[log in to unmask]>
 > Subject:      Re: NREN death, etc.
 >
 > So, if we are going to start talking to folks in Washington DC,
 > what are we going to tell them we want?  I will start a list,
 > please join in:
 >
 > 2.  Low cost or subsidized access to current and future "bandwidth" to
 > provide information services.
 >
 > 3.  Low cost or sidized access to current and future "bandwidth" to be
 > able to allow the residents of our communities to access "information
 > resources"  (as distinguished from commercial services).
 >
 > 4.  A place at the table for future planning and development of
 > the National Information Infrastructure.
 >
 > 5.  Federal funds available through a granting program (NTIA) to
 > underwrite the costs of equipment acquisition and start-up.
 >
 > 6.  Adequate protections for privacy, security, and free expression.

    I don't think you want the government this involved in your
community-network.

    I think you will run into a problem when another local group
decides they can do a better job of running a community-network.
Can they get these same subsidies?  Can every special-interest group
who opens a community-network get a spot on the NII committee?

    where do you start drawing the lines.

  Erik Seielstad                            |  Systems Programmer/Analyst
  Internet: [log in to unmask]   |  SUNY College at Brockport