> > Date:         Sat, 12 Jun 1993 13:41:49 -0400
> > Subject:      Re: Mommy!  Daddy!  Look what I found on the net!
> >
> > Basically, my idea, which I discussed with Rich Salz and others, who
> > seemed to like it, was to add a standard but optional header that
> > notes endorsements of a particular message.  Control messages could be
> > generated and passed as news articles, like other control messages.
> >
> > Anyone could endorse a particular message as being of a class (K-12,
> > K-6, adult, flame noise, gem, etc.).  Authentication would be
> > optional, but possibly based on PGP.
>
> I like this idea.  One quibble: the term "K-12" is tied to the
> particular terminology of the USAmerican educational system.  Other
> educational systems begin and end at different ages and use other
> terminology.  Perhaps one step toward internationalizing this scheme
> would be to endorse documents as being appropriate for an age group
> ("5-up", "12-up", "18-up", whatever) rather than for a set of school
> grades.

I agree.  Or pub, pre-pub, sex-age.  Sounds like a good topic.
We could have votes for standard endorsements...

> These endorsements would of course be highly subjective and affected by
> many biases (educators in the Netherlands and Saudi Arabia, say, are
> unlikely to agree on what is appropriate for 12-year-olds, nor are two
> educators from the same locality ever likely to agree on everything).

That's why I designed it to handle multiple endorsements and allow the
recevier to specify certain people/orgs to be authorized.  That way
you could choose who to trust.  They would have a reputation.

> -- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") [log in to unmask]
> -- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Thanks
sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: [log in to unmask] CIS [log in to unmask]